The Next Particle Collider is Taking Shape

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Your missing the main point that many articles are emphasising at the moment as a result of particle physics experiments, and the analysis of data from experiments in the past: the Standard Model is unable to explain MANY of the observable results of experiments both past and present.

It appears we must go to a new paradigm ... go through a paradigm shift.

Current models have to be bent and twisted to the point where they simply "break" in order to cover most predictions ... then the maths simply becomes ridiculous.

compactified dimensions ... special cases / exceptions ...

We need a new Einstein ... currently there seems to be slim pickings.

Did we indulge Gen Y and let them stay at home too long ... I ask because it is the young mathematicians that seem to make the breakthroughs ... people over 30 in this field are only useful as teachers ... rarely produce anything of significance.

damian86

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
People who thinks they can create a black hole or something like that are absolutely wrong. They/We or even Experts know nothing about Black holes, it is something that is corrently under studies. This is all a big waste of money.. they can use the money for something else.

gokanis

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
[citation][nom]jdragyn[/nom]Yay! A new collider, maybe NOW they'll get the black hole right! The result will suck either way.[/citation]

Wow a black hole joke. I see another joke or some such event just over the horizon.... ouch!

gokanis

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
[citation][nom]damian86[/nom]People who thinks they can create a black hole or something like that are absolutely wrong. They/We or even Experts know nothing about Black holes, it is something that is corrently under studies. This is all a big waste of money.. they can use the money for something else.[/citation]

The Earth is flat and the sun is at the center of the universe and no the round wheel idea sucks, stick with the square one and you want to create a toaster, won't that cause the Earth to implode? Don't do it it's a waste of money....

/end sarcasam

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]K-zon[/nom]...I can understand sometimes for sack of new from old of course, especially with more known then what was say before with new on old, but the ideas of lack "None-before" kinda don't fit well, but that again is based on ideas of what is before and what isn't though i think more then none...[/citation]
Yeah. I to ken understend this for then of the old sack especially of course then what new lack kinda old ideas then before i say none fit of based isn't though old bicycle.

walter87

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
[citation][nom]damian86[/nom]People who thinks they can create a black hole or something like that are absolutely wrong. They/We or even Experts know nothing about Black holes, it is something that is corrently under studies. This is all a big waste of money.. they can use the money for something else.[/citation]

Coming from someone with no scientific knowledge or background...

walter87

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]1 - It won't create a real black hole... at best, maybe a micro black hole which would eat itself in seconds (If I remember right).2 - If a really big black hole was to form (which requires far more mass than the whole Earth) - you'd be dead before you know it - but also, living in it while not knowing it.3 - If 2 happened, it wouldn't matter where you lived on Earth.[/citation]
Well said. People read too much science fiction into Blackholes that they don't understand them at all. A micro blackhole will be so insignificant (about the size of an atom, or possibly smaller) that it wouldn't be strong enough to collapse any matter.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]Yeah. I to ken understend this for then of the old sack especially of course then what new lack kinda old ideas then before i say none fit of based isn't though old bicycle.[/citation]ROFL

greliu

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
These particle accelerators are used to determine what particles make up atoms and how we can distribute these particles into categories. The biggest promises with these particle accelerators is to find the higgs boson, the theoretical particle that gives everything the characteristic of mass. Anyone who thinks this is a waste of money to progress basic physic knowledge is a complete idiot and not to mention ignorant. Leaving here in the States, I hope this does go through. Every country that is capable of doing these type of research should. The U.S. has some of the best schools in the world and should use those resources more often. Europe's particle accelerator is great, everyone should do themselves a favor and read up on it.

damian86

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]walter87[/nom]Coming from someone with no scientific knowledge or background...[/citation]

You won't be able to explain that, so speak for yourself, I watched a tv doc last night, it well said that there is so much stuff to learn about black holes, they are not even close to them too study them well.I think you are one that thinks that the earth is flat, as someone said above..Read more dude!!!!

walter87

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
[citation][nom]damian86[/nom]You won't be able to explain that, so speak for yourself, I watched a tv doc last night, it well said that there is so much stuff to learn about black holes, they are not even close to them too study them well.I think you are one that thinks that the earth is flat, as someone said above..Read more dude!!!![/citation]
So since you watch a documentary on it you think you understand it, and think I'm an idiot who thinks the Earth is flat...grow up?
Where do you think these hypotheses about creating a Black Hole come from? Certainly not me, but actually established people in the Scientific Community.

I've have some knowledge of Quantum Mechanics and probably a better understanding of the physics behind a black hole than you know and could comprehend from a documentary.

Your making a claim that its impossible that man could create a black hole cause we don't yet know enough about them, yet several professional theorists with a high reputation and credibility in the scientific community think otherwise.

You also can't tell when someone is joking, Gokanis was mocking you cause of your narrow minded thought process. Pretty much saying that you think the Earth is flat etc etc cause your can't contemplate others points of view that have some background premise supporting their opinions.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
i have a much better idea how about the entire chicago airport gets moved to this location to handle the increased traffic it has seen since the 1970's
i can see capacity for 3 double runways running east-west, northeast-southwest, northwest-southeast. with an national and international terminals at the north and south crossing of the hubs.

craighay

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
"The cavities receive a charge of 300 KW each and exposed to a pulsating electric field clocked at 1.3 GHz to accelerate the proton beam to a total of about 1.5 GeV when all six cryomodules are in place. Liquid helium is used to cool the niobium cavities, which consist of a string of 9 cells, which are bathed in liquid helium at a temperature of 2K, while additional cooling layers on the outside have a temperature of 5K and 80K." Oooooh baby, speak dirty to me, that makes me so hot and horny... my 'cavities' will recieve how much 'charge'?

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]christop[/nom]Sweet I making one in my back yard..[/citation]
I'm making one in Minecraft using pigs and dynamite! If only I could make the pig move left or right in midair, I could make it round like they do. Perhaps an elaborate system of pistons and redstone to line the water cooled obsidian chamber?

Status
Not open for further replies.