The Nintendo Wii U Will Support Two GamePads

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
[citation][nom]kinggraves[/nom]I'm more concerned about the size, DS has already proven a variety of uses for a second/touch screen. I wouldn't mind strat/RPG games first of all. They're throwing out a bucket of possible applications though like chat windows, walkthroughs, maps, and menus. How many games do you have to pull up a menu to equip/select things? Menu's on the screen now, you're actually in the action more because you can just glance down and brush that change into place with your finger without opening a menu on the main screen. One thing I remembered was the various "scanner" overlays in Metroid Prime. Put them on the touch screen now and I wouldn't have to keep flipping them on constantly just to scan things.This is good news. One of the greatest concerns was when they said it would only support one touchpad, an odd direction for a usually multiplayer based company to go. I guess as long as the hardware is capable they can just offer a firmware update when they feel it's necessary.[/citation]

why not have an inventory that takes up the whole screen... also a map that takes up the whole screen? ...you're not looking at anything else anyway when you're lookin' @ inventory

/oops... my boss @ this pr firm will be displeased that i confused this thread with a win 8 thread...

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]thecolorblue[/nom]why not have an inventory that takes up the whole screen... also a map that takes up the whole screen? ...you're not looking at anything else anyway when you're lookin' @ inventory/oops... my boss @ this pr firm will be displeased that i confused this thread with a win 8 thread...[/citation]

because, most inventory crap, even on a console would be so much better with a touch interface than with any game pad.

my example of oot is a sound one, the game takes about 40-80 hours to beat your first play through, and im willing to bet that a little over an hour of that time is dicking around with the inventory.

any time there is an in game map, i usually have it full screened, if the map is see through, or as large as it gets to make moving around easier. take metroid prime as an example, if that map was on the controller, it would be so much easier to navigate that land, having a map in hand, and game on screen.

lets also look at a racing game, played on the wiiu tablet instead of the tv... with a head mount display, you could look left and right in real time, but with the wiiu tablet you could do that in your hands, with out compromising controls. its rudimentary, but good enough for a start. hell there may even be a head mount accessory for a racing game just for that reason. you play with tablet on head, and controller in hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.