The Oatmeal Raises Over $850,000 for Tesla Museum

Status
Not open for further replies.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
This is awesome. I'm glad we have taken notice of Tesla. I recall him being very downplayed in the history books as a child. I didn't know much about him until I was in middle school and was assigned to do a report over him, truth be told.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
We had a Tesla Museum here in Colorado Springs that got shut down in 1998. It's a shame it didn't stay open. He did much of his work here, and thus, it was an appropriate place for such a museum.

Best of luck to them in their efforts, I hope this museum will stay open. I would love to visit it.

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]beardguy[/nom]We had a Tesla Museum here in Colorado Springs that got shut down in 1998.[/citation]

Sad Cinema Snob is saaaad...

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]lifelesspoet[/nom]Suck it Edison![/citation]
lol....Edison and Tesla are great, both of them....you want to know who's a better man?....Einstein, he would run circles around both of them...it's a fact.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Tesla invented:

1. AC power. Edison disliked the idea of a competition to his DC power design.

2. Light bulbs that use AC power after Edison refused to let Tesla use his patents.

3. Wireless power. Never got off the ground after JP Morgan (the person) pulled out.

Tab54o

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]lol....Edison and Tesla are great, both of them....you want to know who's a better man?....Einstein, he would run circles around both of them...it's a fact.[/citation]

Not really you're comparing to completed different fields. Einstein gave us some really good stuff but what Tesla did was revolutionary and he didn't get the credit he deserved. I do not think tesla could have done what Einstein did but I also do not think Einstein could have done anything Tesla did either.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Tesla invented:1. AC power. Edison disliked the idea of a competition to his DC power design.2. Light bulbs that use AC power after Edison refused to let Tesla use his patents.3. Wireless power. Never got off the ground after JP Morgan (the person) pulled out.[/citation]
ha ha ha....btw DC motors are more efficient and last longer...why would Edison want to sell his patents???...if Tesla was so good how come he did not invent his own light bulb?...wireless power???.....are you joking?....if it was so good how come it's not widely used like the inventions that Edison and Einstein have developed?

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]ha ha ha....btw DC motors are more efficient and last longer...why would Edison want to sell his patents???...if Tesla was so good how come he did not invent his own light bulb?...wireless power???.....are you joking?....if it was so good how come it's not widely used like the inventions that Edison and Einstein have developed?[/citation]
Are you REALLY that naive? Telsa believed in free energy and he provided it to the world. Problem is, you can't make money from "free" energy but it sure is easy to charge for DC/edison's method. So if you really can't figure out why history picked DC, you need to look up "Proven conspiracy theories"

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]ha ha ha....btw DC motors are more efficient and last longer...why would Edison want to sell his patents???...if Tesla was so good how come he did not invent his own light bulb?...wireless power???.....are you joking?....if it was so good how come it's not widely used like the inventions that Edison and Einstein have developed?[/citation]
DC power is not very efficient over long distances. That's why we use AC power grids instead.

G

Lets not forget radio, oh and he DID make his own light bulbs and we do use them!

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]ravewulf[/nom]DC power is not very efficient over long distances. That's why we use AC power grids instead.[/citation]
lol...long distance?....how about your AC?....that's not long distance, it's in your home...how about your car?...those AC fans use DC current...how often do they go bad...they really don't unless they are built by the lowest bidder

threefish

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
I've been laughing my head off at these comments. Anyone who has taken the engineering physics pre-reqs knows why we use AC for transmission and DC for electronics. My only wish is that whole house DC systems were more common so that I could have low power LEDs all over my house without each LED bulb requiring semiconductors for converting to DC.

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
I like that in 1898 Tesla patented logic gates whose principles are a fundamental part of so many modern processors - Something IBM tried to patent in the 1980's until they found he already had lol

He also made a working remote radio controlled (patented) boat in that same year, a couple of years before Marconi's 1900 Patent application. Tesla actually 1st transmitted and received radio in 1895.

In 1893 at the World Fair he had Many neon lights bent into all kinds of shapes, paterns and even famous scientists names

I just also found Tesla is attributed to having invented the laser too essentially in 1893, though his early device destroyed the ruby (his favorite choice) it used in a fairly short time. Later in 1918 he sent laser pulses to the moon.

too many more to mention really. Someone truly deserving of much greater recognition :D

Status
Not open for further replies.