The Official Dell XPS 13 2-in-1 MegaThread - FAQs and Troubleshoot Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsimenhoff

Honorable
Feb 28, 2016
UVsrj0B.png

The 2015 debut of Dell's XPS 13 was a true revelation for the laptop enthusiast community, proving Windows laptops could be affordable, luxurious and beautiful. Our friendly experts at LaptopMag.com have called it their the favorite consumer laptop for more than two years. With the release of the New XPS 13 2-in-1, Dell has once again captured the attention of everyone in the industry, offering the same luxurious lightweight chassis, gorgeous InfinityEdge display and long battery life of its flagship ultrabook in a 2-in-1 hybrid package.

This thread serves as the primary discussion thread for ALL Dell XPS 13 2-in-1 information and resources, including reviews, news, and how-to tutorials. While discussing, please remember to stay within the guidelines set by Tom's Hardware and above all, DO NOT start a flame war.

Official Dell Website for the New XPS 13 2-in-1

Reviews, Previews, and News
[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcQ6F2c8WJE"][/video]
Laptop Mag - The XPS 13 2-in-1 combines portability, comfort and plenty of power in a sleek, fanless design, but we wish the battery lasted longer.

BusinessNewsDaily - The XPS 13 2-in-1 sports a striking edge-to-edge display ... It looks great, and helps keep the system really compact.

AnandTech - Overall, the XPS 13 2-in-1 looks like a great addition to the XPS lineup, and offers a nice choice for a thin and light convertible. The Y series CPUs should mean that its fanless, and clamping the TDP raises the efficiency quite a bit.

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_xusk155nw"][/video]
The Making of Dell's XPS 13 2-in-1

Specifications
Despite its complex hinged design, fanless chassis, and svelt .54 inch thickness, the Dell XPS 13 2-in-1 offers a remarkable amount of performance and battery life. Under the hood users will find a 7th Generation Intel Y Series Kaby Lake processor, 4GB to 16GB of DDR3 RAM, a NVME PCIe SSD with up to a 1TB of space, and a built-in 46WHr battery providing over 8.5 hours of power. Please click on the spoiler below for a detailed run down of the Dell XPS 13 2-in-1 specifications.
Processor
7th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-7Y54 processor (4M Cache, up to 3.2 GHz)
7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7Y75 processor (4M Cache, up to 3.6 GHz)

Operating System
Windows 10 Home

Memory
4GB, 8GB or 16GB Dual Channel LPDDR3 SDRAM at 1866MHz (On Board)

Video Card
Intel® HD Graphics 615

Display
13.3-inch UltraSharp Quad HD+ (3200x1800) InfinityEdge touch display
13.3-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) InfinityEdge touch display

Audio and Speakers
Stereo speakers professionally tuned with Waves MaxxAudio® Pro
1W x 2 = 2W total

Hard Drive
128GB SATA, 256GB NVMe PCIe, 512GB NVMe PCIe, 1TB NVMe PCIe SSD

Battery
46WHr battery (built-in)

A/C Adapter
Type-C 30W AC adapter

Camera
Widescreen HD (720p) webcam with dual array digital microphones

Wireless
Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC + Bluetooth 4.2 + WIDI 5.0

Dimensions
Height: 8 -13.7 mm (0.32-0.54 inch) x Width: 304 mm (11.98 inch) x Depth: 199mm(7.81 inch)
Weight: 1.24 kg (2.7 pounds)8

Ports
1 Thunderbolt™ 3 with PowerShare & DC-In
1 DisplayPort over USB-C with PowerShare, DC-In & DisplayPort
1 MicroSD Card Reader
1 Headset jack
1 Noble Lock Slot

Exterior Chassis Materials
CNC machined aluminum, carbon fiber composite palm rest with soft touch paint, Edge-to-edge Corning® Gorilla® Glass NBT™, Steel hinges wrapped in aluminum

Keyboard
Full size, backlit chiclet keyboard; 1.3mm travel

Security
Microsoft Hello compliant fingerprint reader

Screen
Edge-to-edge Corning® Gorilla® Glass NBT™

Touchpad
Precision touchpad, seamless glass integrated button
Display
cs1601g0012_xps_13_9365_2in1_pdp_module4.jpg
The InfinityEdge display is now available for the first time on a 2-in-1, providing a virtually borderless edge-to-edge view, all in the smallest 13-inch 2-in-1 on the planet. Dell offers the XPS 13 2-in-1 with either a standard 1080p (1920 x 1080) or quad-HD (3200 x 1800) resolution touch screen.

Ports and Connectivity
cs1601g0012_xps_13_9365_2in1_pdp_module10.jpg

1. Speaker 2. Power Button 3. Micro SD Card Slot 4. USB C 3.1 with Powershare / AC Power and Display Port 5. Noble Lock Slot 6. Thunderbolt™ 3 with PowerShare / AC Power and Display Port 7. Headset jack 8. Battery gauge button and indicator

Community How-to Guides, Tutorials, and FAQs
XPS 13 2-In-1 Vs Microsoft Surface: Which Should You Buy?

Dell XPS 13 2-In-1 Hinge Replacement Policy Guide

How To Fix Dell XPS 13 2-In-1 USB Problems

Battery Replacement Guide For Your Dell XPS 13 2-In-1

How To Remove The Base Cover On Your Dell XPS 13 2-In-1

Fix Dell XPS 13 2-In-1 Plugged In Not Charging Problem

Dell XPS 13 2-In-1 Battery Charging Super Guide

Dell XPS 13 2-In-1 Won't Turn On Problem - No LEDs Fix

Troubleshooting Sound Problems On The Dell XPS 13 2-In-1

How To Restore Windows 10 On Dell XPS 13 2-In-1

The Ultimate Dell XPS 13 2-In-1 Clean Install Guide

Fix Dell XPS 13 2-In-1 No POST - Stuck On Dell Screen Fail

How To Find The Dell XPS 13 2-In-1 AIO Service Tag

Dell XPS 13 2-In-1 System Diagnostic Light Guide

Dell XPS 13 2-In-1 Error Code Troubleshooting Guide

How To Fix Bluetooth Problems On The Dell XPS 13 2-In-1

Speed Up Windows 10 On The Dell XPS 13 2-In-1

How To Connect The Dell XPS 13 2-In-1 To The Razer Core

Dell XPS 13 2-In-1 Wireless Card Replacement Guide

Dell XPS 13 2-In-1 Ultimate Accessory Guide

Block Annoying Notifications On The Dell XPS 13 2-In-1

How To Register Your Dell XPS 13 2-In-1

Dell XPS 13 2-In-1 Virus, Spyware, And Malware Security Guide

Dell XPS 13 2-In-1 Encryption Guide

Miracast Guide For The Dell XPS 13 2-In-1

How To Upgrade The SSD In Your Dell XPS 13 2-In-1

[url=http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3306064/fix-common-dell-xps-problems.html]How To Fix The Most Common Dell XPS 13 2-In-1 Problems

How To Update All Drivers And BIOS On Dell XPS 13 2-In-1

Fix No Video, Blank Screen On The Dell XPS 13 2-In-1

Purchase
Best Buy

Official Dell Shopping Page

Amazon

Please be sure to respond with any XPS 13 2-in-1 tips, guides, reviews and rumors I may have missed! Have a question about the Dell XPS 13 2-in-1? Post it here! Our resident experts in the community and on the Tom's Guide editorial team are happy to help.

hausjam

Estimable
Oct 6, 2014
Just got mine today. It won't turn on. I am not about to crack open a brand new computer to unplug the battery. I am just going to take it back to best buy and exchange it. This is why I hate buying devices right after they hit the market.

hausjam

Estimable
Oct 6, 2014

I did see that, but thanks. I took it back and got a new one, but I was having touchscreen issues with that one. So I took that back and got another new one. And this one also is having touchscreen issues, and touchpad issues also. Three lemons in a row? Or just a model with a lot of issues?

jsimenhoff

Honorable
Feb 28, 2016
That sounds horribly unlucky. There hasn't been much in the way of news regarding these systemic issues. Could you describe the touchpad and touchscreen issues? One of our resident experts may be able to help! If not, it could help other users with similar issues.

hausjam

Estimable
Oct 6, 2014

Basically, there is intermittent "freezing" where after roughly 5 seconds of inactivity, if I tap or swipe on the screen, nothing happens, then after about a second, the tap or swipe registers.

On the first one, it was only happening after coming out of sleep mode. If I rebooted, I didn't have this problem again until it went into, and came out of sleep mode.

On this second one however, it is happening even after rebooting, before ever going to sleep. And also, the touchpad (or bluetooth mouse even) is freezing intermittently as well. As in, trying to move the cursor, it sticks, then jumps across the screen. And I noticed while I was in the bios, it was even doing this there. So I don't think it's a windows issue. It's a hardware problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.