The Other Pad: Yes, A Mousepad Guide

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I need a pad for a variety of reasons. Much of it has to do with protecting the surface I run my mouse across, and has to do with my sweaty, oily skin. Even a desk coated heavily with a tough poly would eventually get scarred up. A foam pad? Useless in a week. A magazine? Heh, not for me.

I like a smooth, perfectly flat surface. I use the Steelseries SX surface. The mouse I use is a World of Warcraft Steelseries mouse (not necessarily recommending the mouse, personal taste, but it has a very soft almost stiction-free glide, which is just what I want). The pad shows no wear after 16 months of use, while the Razor ExactMat I had wore out on the "fast" side (along with all 3 sets of the pads that came with the MS Sidewinder) in about a year. I expect it will last me at least 5 years, and 5 years of mousing bliss means the relatively high price is not too much for me to bear.

I would have to say that the conclusion of the article is spot-on. Most people have no desire for what I have, and the possibilities are wide open.

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
Ive been using the Razor Sphex for about 6 months now. I used a old cloth mouse pad that probably predated the internet before i upgraded.

I really like the sphex it sticks to my wood desk really well the mouse moves without any friction, and when i get it dirty i can just peel it off the desk and wash it with water.

Really the only downfall that i think might come into play is because its so thin it might be less durable then typical mousepads.

G

Very good article! I'm a pretty avid PC gamer and I use an old 8" x 7" mouse pad as well, though I have a box full of them from old companies clearing them out. I use write rests that are from the same era being thick and covered in cloth. I use my wrists for mouse tracking and I find these far more comfortable then anything on the market right now. If you take good care of your old cloth mouse pads they can last for years. My pad has no real signs of wear after almost nine odd years of constant use.

G

I have found a simple suede leather surface with rubber backing to keep it in place works well for gaming like one sold by Bahama Pad Co. It can be had for around $10. Suede offers just the right amount of resistance to inadvertent movement but allows for very smooth gliding and accurate movement. Since I move from my wrist having a comfortable texture like suede is also a plus. No sweating or irritation.

G

Why isn't ZOWIE G-TF in the review? Best mouse pad for gamers in my opinion!

I bought it off Newegg a few weeks ago because I saw SpawN promoting it and honestly it's the bomb!

changkong78

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
You forgot to mention that the Razer Goliathus not only comes with Speed and Control versions, but also 3 sizes, small (Goliathus Alpha), medium, and large (Goliathus Omega) for each version. This makes this statement :

It’s easy to store, though the larger size means you won’t be taking it with you unless your go-bag is very empty.

not completely true.

joker463

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
ROFL, I can't believe they used that Max Payne pad as their oldest one. That's exactly what I'm using right now, didn't even realize it was 9 years old already. But it does work great, just as the article said, the only downside is size and the fact that it's so old it's literally starting to come apart at the edges. I'm a big time gamer, but that's the only thing I've not upgraded this whole time, guess seeing this article really reminds me to get a newer generation.

jamezrp

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
[citation][nom]joker463[/nom]ROFL, I can't believe they used that Max Payne pad as their oldest one. That's exactly what I'm using right now, didn't even realize it was 9 years old already.[/citation]

Wow, really? Ha, that's crazy! It's the oldest mousepad I could find, and I intentionally kept it because I liked the game so much. It's literally sat on a shelf for I don't know how many years. Good job on still using it, but yeah, seriously, I had real trouble playing on it compared to all the other pads.

rawbinz

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
i've been using a QCK+ xxl for over a year and I liked it while i had it (used it with copperhead, imo1.1, mx518), but I just recently realized how worn out it was through all the stuff that has spilled on it :(. I ended up buying a puretrak talent and a deathadder. Haven't received the talent yet as it is still in the mail, but the deathadder is a nice mouse so far

Kohlhagen

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
I too use the func 1030 original. I've had it for i'd say almost 8 years.. With absolutely no wear and tear on it.. It is double sided with a rubber base that you set the mousepad into.

The only con would probably be the original ones size.. But i play with high sensitivity and probably only use half of the surface anyways.

shultze

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
When I saw the link to this article, I thought it was a joke. Imagine my surprise to find 18+ "pages" on the mouse pad. Further imagine my surprise to find over 30 comments on the article.

Now here I am, commenting on the comments.... thank god its friday.

G

One thing not mentioned is that if you keep your desk for years and you mouse for several hours a day, that portion of your desk will show wear over time. There are many other surfaces that will show wear as well. & it is easier to replace a worn mouse pad than refinish a desk.

Status
Not open for further replies.