The right Headphone for me?

Virosa

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
Hello there, i am currently shopping for a pair of headphones to use on my PC but also portable device (@home). I have spent alot of time reading about it and the information is very conflictual, so i decided to ask here;

Budget: Variable, 60~ to 200$ including shipping/taxes would be good, as in, if its costlier for alot better(Quality and if it will last many years), i can possibly manage.

My needs/interests:
-Comfort for extensive sessions; so cool and comfy and doesn't break my neck if possible. Open drums, maybe?

-Surround Movies and Virtual 3D games (Clear Distance/Depth and Direction, at the risk of sounding noob~)

-Music; Electronic, Vocal and sometime Boom Boom, but what i really love are instrument such as Violin and Cellos (Apocalyptica, anyone?) I favor .wav and .flac, but sometime listen to streams/radio.

-I have absolutely no need for a mounted mic.

Thanks~

Edit: Oh, i need a dial too! built in or not!

Solution
open drums will decrease bass and may not sound quite the same as closed drums. provided you take a break every once in awhile closed drums are fine. i've used them all day for 8 hours and as long as i take breaks (such as getting up and going to the restroom) its not a comfort issue.

surround sound headphones do not offer anywhere near the quality of sound as a good quality pair of stereo headphones. unless you absolutely require surround sound (and its not even great surround sound) then i would say avoid this. i've played games with a 2.0 set and you can judge direction easy enough via volume level and direction via which earcup or at least well enough to manage.

i use audiotechnica ath-m50s studio headphones. in general bass is...
open drums will decrease bass and may not sound quite the same as closed drums. provided you take a break every once in awhile closed drums are fine. i've used them all day for 8 hours and as long as i take breaks (such as getting up and going to the restroom) its not a comfort issue.

surround sound headphones do not offer anywhere near the quality of sound as a good quality pair of stereo headphones. unless you absolutely require surround sound (and its not even great surround sound) then i would say avoid this. i've played games with a 2.0 set and you can judge direction easy enough via volume level and direction via which earcup or at least well enough to manage.

i use audiotechnica ath-m50s studio headphones. in general bass is punchy and treble is clear. some state that they lack mids but personally i've never noticed this. they also are low resistance so you do not need an amplifier. they are built rather solid as well.

another brand choice is sennheiser which is often regarded rather highly.

just an idea of course.

Solution