The Shape-Shifting Car of the Future

Status
Not open for further replies.

daworstplaya

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
[citation][nom]Smochina[/nom]Wow, let's make a vehicle that has the ability to extend the forward wheels and call it traffic adaptable by pulling the wheels back. WHY DON'T YOU USE THEM RETRACTED IN THE FIRST PLACE IDIOT!!!![/citation]

Because wider stance = better stability = safer vehicle

G

@ElCdt: Reminds me of the "Jar Jar Twins".

Joking aside, I wouldn't want to get in a wreck while in one of these things. A few smacks by full size sedans and you're road-hamburger.

drakenviator

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
My concern would be wind. With that high of a side panel and such a thin wheel base, it almost looks like the slightest breeze would send you flying.

korsen

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Well if DARPA was going to cooperate with vehicle manufacturers then this design might not be a bad idea if they could fit two of these in a lane. Talk about decongesting traffic.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Pointless because it doesn't matter how narrow the vehicle is, it is still illegal to drive them side by side in the same lane of traffic. This law currently applies to motorcycles today. So whether the cars involved in a "traffic jam" are are 8 feet wide or 2 feet wide, the line of traffic will be the same length.

Also, good luck meeting current safety regulations for cars (as apposed to motorcycles) with this design.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
I don't understand the point of it. To fit two vehicles in a single lane of traffic? I agree, that's illegal and definitely unsafe. Looks like a death trap. I'd like to see someone survive a car crash in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.