These Are Nokia's Lumia 800 and 710 Windows Phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

alyoshka

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
There ain't going to be lawsuits for these phones. These are Nokia phones, not your standard iPhones, Samsung, LG, Blackberry or other stuff that thrive more off lawsuits than of the actual quality of goods they make.... and these ain't Androids......

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Single core processor sounds a bit retro and Applelesk. They should strive for better hardware. I hope they don't do an iPhone 4s stunt and just put a skimpy 512 meg of ram.

three0duster

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Microsoft and Nokia employees voted my comments down. The reason there will be no lawsuits, is because Nokia and MS have 99% of the patents used for the devices.

hannibal

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
390 hours standby does sound reasonable...
Nokia has allways made good phones, for making phone calls. Hopefully that feature is still there with reasonable "smart phone" features that were hard to achieve with symbian.

Yep. meago was/is promising os, but it came/is too late for Nokia. Meego phone 4 years ago would have made whole different impact... *sigh*

epdm2be

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
[citation][nom]hannibal[/nom]390 hours standby does sound reasonable... Nokia has allways made good phones, for making phone calls. Hopefully that feature is still there with reasonable "smart phone" features that were hard to achieve with symbian.Yep. meago was/is promising os, but it came/is too late for Nokia. Meego phone 4 years ago would have made whole different impact... *sigh*[/citation]

What you're impliying here could be quite right. But remember Microsoft did the same. They ditched Windows Mobile and build Windows Phone 7. They're shoveling it to everyones throat as the next best thing while in reality it has similar features than Nokia's Maemo harmattan bar the great UI of it.

Which is what I thought was the reason of Nokia's inpopularity, isn't it? I remember 'everybody' (read: the associated press/Nokia-haters) complaining about the "stale" UI of Symbian while in reality Symbian has the most elaborate feature-set of any Mobile OS including multitasking, copy & paste etc... Meamo was supposed to improve further on it AND combined with a new UI would be the 'next big thing'.

I believe the N9 has less features than a similar Symbian handset (there's no 2-way call recording, no FM-transmitter and probably some other missing things). Microsoft's Winphone 7 has even less features (multi-tasking more restrictive then in Maemo, there's also NO 2-eway callrecording and some other important things like e.g. being unable to access hidden SSID's).

So pushing Harmattan phones now or Winphones now wouldn't make a difference for Nokia. They're both too late. The market is already swamped with HTC, Samsung and LG winphones. Also Microsoft's restrictions wouldn't allow for Nokia to stand out much since they're designed to minimize differentiation. The only 2 thing that differentiate this phone from the others is the Carl Zeiss label on the camera and it's button-less design. It wouldn't surprise me that soon Samsung brings out a button-less galaxy winphone as well (probably at a better price as well).

This is a bad move. But hey, since our opinion doesn't matter anyway (Nokia's target audience are the 'emerging markets' and I live outside these 'markets thus...)

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]epdm2be[/nom]The only 2 thing that differentiate this phone from the others is the Carl Zeiss label on the camera and it's button-less design[/citation]
The camera quality, largely off the back of the lens quality, was always a huge selling point for Nokia, especially in the dumb-phone market. Retaining it for the smartphone market is a no-brainer, all we need now is a one-on-one face off against the new iPhone 4S camera and then tell the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.