Thief Steals Notebook, Returns Data On USB Stick

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRockMonsi

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
[citation][nom]jskilnyk[/nom]Its sounds like the thief needed a notebook. Its like he only stole the notebook because thats all he needed. He was probably poor is my guess.[/citation]

If he was poor, why did he not just go the whole nine yards and keep the credit cards then?

theoldgrumpybear

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
Beleive it or not, up until recently you could in Sweden have put a laptop on a park bench and walked off to get a sandwich and it would be there when you came back five minutes later.
You can still generally leave all your valubles in your clothes haning openly in the gym locker room without fear of losing anything.
It is all a question of ethics really.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]TheRockMonsi[/nom]If he was poor, why did he not just go the whole nine yards and keep the credit cards then?[/citation]

they are FAR to traceable.

now if i ever stole a laptop, the first thing i would do is replace the hard drive, its unusable, because so may factors could make it traceable, and the possibility that it has things on it that would make it identifiable. i would replace it with a cheap pos.

now seeing how i would have removed the hdd. i would try to give it back to the person if at all possible. if not, than i would scrap it completely. i mean, if i had the harddrive, i would probably have access to something that would give me an address, and next time i was at a post office 50 miles+ away, id mail it to them, granted id ware gloves or something while packing and transporting, but i just stole a 500$+ piece of hardware, if i keep it for my self, there is 400$, if i sell it, there is 400$, whats a 30$ thank you present to its original owner,?

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
I'm glad the thief returned the data. I believe every computer guru out there knows that data is far more valuable to a person than a a thousand dollar computer.

7amood

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005
thief made two trips to return stuff that isn't wroth to him but to the professor.
that thief has conscious... so... WHY STEAL??
earning something is more joyous than stealing it...
maybe sometime later the laptop will be returned... who knows...

G

i want to know why he couldn't put the BACKPACK on his BACK when he went to the laundry room???

G

I'd give you even money the thief was someone that knew him. Probably a student of his that liked him and after getting home with the laptop discovered who it belonged to.

zoemayne

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
[citation][nom]unrealpinky[/nom]The reality is that that most police departments do not bother with personal property theft.[/citation]

Also hit and runs which dont involve injury's and stolen cars which dont involve crimes. Its your loss! My moms car got hit and run and it took me 3 months to get in contact with the investigator after multiple calls and visits to the police station. And the case got closed and they didnt find the person even though hes lives near by.

Von Death

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
If you caught someone taking your stuff, how would you react? If you attack and hurt him, he can press charges. Unless you know who he is or have hard evidence, you're fairly helpless when operating within the law.

Status
Not open for further replies.