Thief Steals Notebook, Returns Data On USB Stick

Status
Not open for further replies.

davewolfgang

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Do they fingerprint over there? Run it on the USB stick, and all the other contents of the backpack - which I'm sure was thoroughly gone through.

endif

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
[citation][nom]davewolfgang[/nom]Do they fingerprint over there? Run it on the USB stick, and all the other contents of the backpack - which I'm sure was thoroughly gone through.[/citation]

I am pretty sure fingerprinting costs a significant about more than the value of the laptop.

Strider-Hiryu_79

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Why didn't he wear the backpack while doing laundry?

If he didn't want to have to make another trip to go upstairs to his apartment then that's what I would have done.

G

Nice to see, that some ppl DO care about others.

It's almost like the story when a man left his car open, and someone left a diamond ring with a note in his car instead of stealing it.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
My guess is its a scam, if the laptop belonged to the school, he stole it/sold it. I have a hard time believing a thief would return everything except the physical laptop. If their conscience really bothered them that much, it would have been easier to return the whole thing. Maybe its a student trying to mess with the teacher for bad grades or something?

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
The professor would have lost much more money with an eventual HDD recovery than the price of the notebook. In other words, the thief may have led the professor to save money.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I once had a stolen wallet returned with everything but the cash that was originally in it. Instead, there was a note apologizing and thanking me for the "loan". I was just glad to get my driver's license back (I was 20 at the time).

Firehead2k

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
Good thing he didn't do this at the airport. Leave the bag and head for the washroom.. Security would have safely removed the suspicious bag with explosives..

deweycd

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
It is hard to say if this is a kind act or that of someone who knows the professor but needed money. If they knew where he lived and had access to put back the bag you would likely conclude that it had to be someone that knew the professor and lived in the building.

jskilnyk

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
Its sounds like the thief needed a notebook. Its like he only stole the notebook because thats all he needed. He was probably poor is my guess.

tomate2

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
[citation][nom]cekasone[/nom]I'd probably do the same thing[/citation]

just dont steal the dam notebook!
and u wont be doing it at all!

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]My guess is its a scam, if the laptop belonged to the school, he stole it/sold it. I have a hard time believing a thief would return everything except the physical laptop. If their conscience really bothered them that much, it would have been easier to return the whole thing. Maybe its a student trying to mess with the teacher for bad grades or something?[/citation]Why were you people downthumbing him?

He has a good point you know!

jaygee02

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
[citation][nom]igabul[/nom]Nice to see, that some ppl DO care about others.It's almost like the story when a man left his car open, and someone left a diamond ring with a note in his car instead of stealing it.[/citation]

Caring for people != stealing their laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.