Thinkpad L530 turns off immediately, no beeps with ram, 1-3-3-1 beeps without

rocket_doge_

Prominent
Mar 21, 2017
I have the following problem:
My Lenovo Thinkpad L530 won't turn on. I plug it in, press the power button and it comes to life for a splitsecond before turning off again and repeating the process.
If I remove the RAM module it still won't boot but doensn't shut down either; it stays on and beeps 1-3-3-1 times (bad memory, who would have guessed).
After throwing the RAM back at it (I have tried multiple modules) it starts doing it's turn-on-turn-off thing again.
What could be the problem? I have tried swapping the RAM, disconnecting the internal display, connecting an external monitor and booting it with and without battery.
The screen stays off the entire time, no backlight, no post.

Only try this if the laptop is actually powering on, and just the display isn't coming on. If the whole thing isn't coming on, that is different.

Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

If it won't power on at all, not just on with no display, Try the following and see if it will turn on...

1. First make sure the device has been charged.
2. Unplug your charger cord.
3. Remove the battery.
4. Press and hold the "Power" button for 30 seconds.
5. Now plug back in the power/charger cord.
6. Now put the battery back in.

If this doesn't help, then test the power cord to see if it is good. Either try your cord in another device, or try another devices cord in your laptop.

Should that not be the problem, then check the battery to see if it needs replacing.

rocket_doge_

Prominent
Mar 21, 2017

The laptop immediately shuts off after powering on, in less than a second. I guess it's failing the GPU self test and hooking up an external monitor won't help. I have now ordered a replacement CPU (apparently the GPU sits on it, it's the only chip with active cooling as well and the only chip which can be replaced). Can the chipset be repaired by reflowing the solder?