Thinkpad X220 won't detect mSata ssd

Nobokomo

Commendable
Jan 15, 2017
I recently bought a thinkpad x220, and since it was one of the business stripped models all over ebay, it didn't have a battery or hard drive. I decided that I would use an msata ssd as a boot drive and an old hdd as a storage drive. Long story short, the computer and the ssd arrived today, so I went to plug the ssd into the msata port, and found a 3g card. I removed the card, fired it up, and found that this ssd isn't showing up. The boot options list doesn't see it, windows installation doesn't see it, and a live linux usb doesn't see it. I think it might be doa, but I'm hoping for a second opinion. Any tips or advice would be appreciated. Oh, and it's an adata 24gb ssd.

Nobokomo

Commendable
Jan 15, 2017
Thanks for all the help, guys. I've managed to solve the problem. Turns out I needed to flash the BIOS, and the problem is now solved.

Nobokomo

Commendable
Jan 15, 2017
I don't have another computer that has bootable mSata slots, and the other person I know who has thinkpads has a t510, a gen too old, and a t440p, a gen too new. However, and I know this isn't much indication, when I put a standard 2.5" hdd into the laptop, it detects and boots the drive.

Nobokomo

Commendable
Jan 15, 2017
Ok, so an update. It turns out that the Latitude e5440 has msata capability, and I've been able to load windows on to the ssd on that computer. However, when I put the drive back into the thinkpad, once again the drive doesn't show up. Am I missing something in the bios?

hang-the-9

Titan

It should see the drive, although I have never tried using an mSATA in an X model, I know it works in both T420s and T430s as I currently have them running in that.

Nobokomo

Commendable
Jan 15, 2017
Thanks for all the help, guys. I've managed to solve the problem. Turns out I needed to flash the BIOS, and the problem is now solved.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Laptop Tech Support 4
A Laptop Tech Support 3
M Laptop Tech Support 1
Ksomoso Laptop Tech Support 1
S Laptop Tech Support 0
D Laptop Tech Support 2
doantientai94 Laptop Tech Support 3
ssduarte92 Laptop Tech Support 2
D Laptop Tech Support 1
subiranjan Laptop Tech Support 1
P Laptop Tech Support 8