This 10-Year-Old Made His Own 'Minecraft' Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Bob

Honorable
May 26, 2013
Uh, how is this newsworthy? Minecraft servers are notoriously easy to setup and run. I did it when I was 11. No big deal.

dxwarlock

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
After running a server for 3 years, I can say that this article represents about 80% of the 1000's of servers out there based on who I get spamming my server chat with an IP, typing "join 12.12.12.12 IP AWESOME SAUCE SERVER!!" and leaving.
Ran by 10-15 year old kids that figured out running a basic vanilla minecraft server is really as simple and double clicking a file and its up.

rpissm

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013
This article reads like an advertisement for Fadehost, "where you too can set up your own Minecraft server for the LOW LOW COST of only $2.50 / month!"

mouse24

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
I agree with the other people here. Its not hard to set one up. Its even less hard to pay a company to do it for you, which is what he did. You basically just pay this company to handle everything for you. Such as the simple simple task of port forwarding and such. This kid did nothing on his own, his parents put in their credit card info and he got a server that already had everything set up.

This is like saying "10 year old built his own computer" except what he did was buy custom built PC from the likes of CyberPower or Alienware.

pepe2907

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
What? A MINECRAFT SERVER? By a 10 YEARS OLD? Wwwow/!!!/, that's AWESOME! No, really!!! I am so excited that I forgot to ask myself what's "tech news" there. :O

kingarepa

Honorable
Oct 13, 2013
I enjoyed the article. Fun to read about a kid pursuing his passion, whatever the difficulty level. And, I'm happy to hear that his parents are setting up safety measures. That's nice to read when you also hear about parents letting their 9 yr. old kids play grand theft auto.

Apr 2, 2013
This is just stupidity. I opened up a MacBookPro , changed the HDD to a SSD , and RAM to 8GB from 4GB when I was 12 ( I am 14 ATM ) but had no article on me :( The kid literally did nothing but asked his parents to pay for a server for minecraft? And then his mom trying to say about parental concerns etc ? Whats the difference in this and a kid asking his parents to pay for some crap games. This is the most poor and senseless article I have ever seen here.
Could have praised if he would have made a supercomputer of like a ODROID or Raspberry Pi's. But this is just.......................................................................

Apr 2, 2013
This is just stupidity. I opened up a MacBookPro , changed the HDD to a SSD , and RAM to 8GB from 4GB when I was 12 ( I am 14 ATM ) but had no article on me :( The kid literally did nothing but asked his parents to pay for a server for minecraft? And then his mom trying to say about parental concerns etc ? Whats the difference in this and a kid asking his parents to pay for some crap games. This is the most poor and senseless article I have ever seen here.
Could have praised if he would have made a supercomputer of like a ODROID or Raspberry Pi's. But this is just.......................................................................

Apr 2, 2013

Apr 2, 2013

Apr 2, 2013
This is just stupidity. The kid literally did nothing but asked his parents to pay for a server for minecraft? And then his mom trying to say about parental concerns etc ? Whats the difference in this and a kid asking his parents to pay for some crap games. This is the most poor and senseless article I have ever seen here.

thesuperguy

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013
I would be ever so slightly more impressed if it was about a 10 year old who built a computer from scratch by himself with the help of only the internet and perhaps some parents to help fund the project, not funding someone else to do the project for the kid -_-

Chase Brisson

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
Im 12, and started my server when I was 11. Its not really a big accomplishment. You buy the server, install some plugins, and thats really all there is to it. This kid seems like a noob. I would cover the costs and let him "Try" the server for a month or two, and then have him pay for it with his own money. Pisses me off to see spoiled kids playing on minecraft these days.

Oliver Richardson

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014
I was 9 when i run a minecraft server and i earned 30£ out of it. Plus i knew every thing about it i knew pex i knew how to program the server im 10 now and im building a prison server.

Status
Not open for further replies.