Solved! "This app is blocked for your protection" during boot. Which app???

Mighty

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
Frustrating one. Win 10 is telling me on boot that one of my apps is being blocked. But, the dialog box does not provide any information whatsoever on which app it is. The only button on the dialog is "Close."

Is there a log somewhere that will tell me which app is blocked?

I realize I can disable stuff until I find the program in question. But, I'm not really in the mood to sit here and watch this thing boot over and over.

Possibly connected: This started happening when I uninstalled Avast and installed Avira. So, it could have something to do with that. And/or, I also followed the steps at wikihow to disable Avira's upgrade nags.

Suggestions appreciated,

Drake Christensen

Mighty

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
I know I can disable stuff that way. I'm looking to avoid that.

Avira is *supposed* to be there. Avast was successfully uninstalled, and does not appear there.

Mighty

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
The search function is pretty awful. I have to open up each folder and search in it individually. There are probably at least 50 sub-folders under the Windows folder alone. It might be easier to brute force it and start disabling boot programs.

As an added bit of info, I got another useless "Blocked" dialog about the time you submitted your message. IOW, not during a boot. Obviously, I have no idea if that's the same app trying to run or a different one. And, no way to narrow down my search within Event Viewer.

Does anyone have any more specific ideas where those blocked events would be logged? Which specific folder? Or, at least narrow it down to a half dozen or so?

Mighty

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
Oh, yeah. One other tidbit that might be involved, but slipped my mind. Immediately after installing Avira, Windows informed that there was an update to install. So, I went ahead and let it do that.

gdmaclew

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
The only thing I can suggest is to download and run Autoruns from this source...

https://filehippo.com/download_autoruns/

It will show every process being loaded at Startup.

Mighty

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
*sigh* I guess I can give it a try. I've used Autoruns before, and it's a ginormous pile of information.

It's looking like I'm going to end up devoting an afternoon to rebooting my computer.