This laptop’s screen is so good I've stopped using my 77-inch OLED TV

Jun 18, 2023
It sounds like you really, really, really learned the wrong lesson from this. Gaming laptops are weak as hell, particularly in the RTX 40-series, for some reason. An RTX 4070ti (real version) beats the RTX 4070ti (laptop version) by nearly a 2 to 1 ratio. The laptop version is pathetic.

And you pay more for the weaker versions of the various parts. There are good reasons to go with a gaming laptop. Your argument in this article isn't one of them.

You failed to replace your motherboard when you replaced your CPU. You should generally do that. You want the newer, faster motherboard to properly make use of your new RTX 4090, too.

And check your power supply. That might have screwed you, too.

Okay, so you aren't very good at assembling your own computers. Fine. There's no shame in that. But that's an argument for buying a pre-built desktop, not a laptop.

Hell, I am good at assembling my own computers. I bought my current one pre-built, though. I got a great deal on an Alienware machine that is freaking beautiful. And it'll blow that laptop out of the water by something like a 5 to 3 ratio on the frame rate with the same settings.

Seriously, push people towards pre-built desktops, not laptops.

Reactions: Eclecticism
Jun 19, 2023
It sounds like you really, really, really learned the wrong lesson from this. Gaming laptops are weak as hell, particularly in the RTX 40-series, for some reason. An RTX 4070ti (real version) beats the RTX 4070ti (laptop version) by nearly a 2 to 1 ratio. The laptop version is pathetic.

And you pay more for the weaker versions of the various parts. There are good reasons to go with a gaming laptop. Your argument in this article isn't one of them.

You failed to replace your motherboard when you replaced your CPU. You should generally do that. You want the newer, faster motherboard to properly make use of your new RTX 4090, too.

And check your power supply. That might have screwed you, too.

Okay, so you aren't very good at assembling your own computers. Fine. There's no shame in that. But that's an argument for buying a pre-built desktop, not a laptop.

Hell, I am good at assembling my own computers. I bought my current one pre-built, though. I got a great deal on an Alienware machine that is freaking beautiful. And it'll blow that laptop out of the water by something like a 5 to 3 ratio on the frame rate with the same settings.

Seriously, push people towards pre-built desktops, not laptops.
I agree this company needs to fire these "tech gurus" with no clue how computers work. I'm about to apply for a job at Tom's guide and try to get rid of these misinformation speading "staff memebers"
100% this is an arguement to be had for what to buy pre-built. Not laptops. I got a gaming laptop, 3070. It's a pos for gaming. Great for photo and video work on the go, but thats it.

TRENDING THREADS