This Phone Actually Runs Windows 7 Home Prem.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmike_49

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
[citation][nom]wintermint[/nom]Where's the mention of battery life I don't want this to die on me while I use it/when I need it[/citation]

comes with a power cord

tulx

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]11796pcs[/nom]Windows Vista can't even run on 1 GB of RAM much less Crysis.[/citation]
Windows Vista can and does run on 1GB of RAM. And the device mentioned in the article uses Windows 7.

kikireeki

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
As far as I know: Atom is not the most efficient cpu for mobile phones, and it can barely run Windows 7 home basic on a 1gb ram netbook. so yes the recipe looks problematic.

ilmargasstrom

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
UPDATE: We have an answer, and it's not good news. "Thank you for your inquiry," a representative replied in an email. "To answer your question, Fujitsu currently has no plans to market the Windows 7-based F-07C in the United States."

Get used to that. As the middle class is hollowed out in US. The market becomes more and more unattractive. I remember a time when tech came out in US/Japan first and then in Europe... The tech companies of US are more concerned by keeping investors happy, rather than keeping customers happy. The corporate cartels of America are killing the market, and the government is too afraid to step up...

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
UPDATE: We have an answer, and it's not good news. "Thank you for your inquiry," a representative replied in an email. "To answer your question, Fujitsu currently has no plans to market the Windows 7-based F-07C in the United States."

Roflmao =) How about Asia? Or do I have to send someone to Japan to pick this up for me? RIP, Android... this is just way more useful for my purposes. A REAL OS on the phone.. not "apps/crapps", but a real OS! And the specs are better than my netbook. Whoever posted that Atom can't run Win7 smoothly, I call BS on it, my netbook proves your wrong... plus you can always tweak it. However, I'm concerned aboot battery life - Atom isn't ARM, after all.

This won't play Crysis, but will run HOMM3. It's a start. Now, that is *actual* innovation, not re-releasing the same phone over and over. I just hope that they actually plan to sell it and not just show off with a "concept".

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Who said anything about Vista? Vista runs like crap on even high-end intel quad core computers with 8 GB of RAM. That is why Windows 7 happened... Windows 7 runs just fine on my brother's 1st gen netbook (9 inch Acer) and my 2nd gen netbook (Asus 1005 HAB), as well as my brother's 3rd gen netbook (Asus 1015PN with Ion2). I have an Agility 1 SSD, 2 GB of RAM and an n270 (oc'd to 2 GHz). Runs as good as I need it to.

With 1 GB of RAM, 7 runs just fine, and I would imagine that the Z600, even with a lower clock speed, because of the integrated graphics silicon, that the battery life and performance will be just fine for this phone.

The Crysis question is a valid one too. Funny. But Crysis 2 will OBVIOUSLY not work. Crysis 1 might actually. It isn't about being a 'standard', it is about the fact Crysis was horribly programmed, and required some serious hardware to run it, even a couple of years after it's release to be able to take full advantage of the visual goodies...

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]sh4dow83[/nom]judging by how fast a windows 7 installation grows, that 32gb ssd would probably be full in a couple of months. so what's the use?[/citation]
Doesn't need to install another copy of Office. It has the 'cloud version'. Doesn't need Photoshop, that isn't what this phone is for. Don't need to install games, that isn't what this phone is for. Wanna run FireFox 5 with full flash support? Go right ahead... Wanna watch Netflix for Silverlight? Go right ahead... Want to install the latest greatest VLC player to watch a DiVX movie? Go right ahead... Need a low end, but very essential buisness application for your company, but can't justify lugging a MacBook Air or even a netbook around with you? Use this phone...

G

No doubt, based on the drooling predictions of all the Ballmer-knob-slobberers 'round here, this should sell about a bazillion units and utterly destroy all other competitors.

Or, more likely, it will fly like a lead balloon like all the other "OMG WE PUT A PC IN UR PHONE SO YOU CAN CRASH WHILE YOU TALK" projects that tried to wedge a desktop UI into a touch format...

boiler1990

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
If I were one of these companies, I'd at least make a few and sell them to hardcore developers/hackers as part of a program or something. Then they can fine tune it and actually get some useful feedback for a potential production model.

BSMonitor

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
[citation][nom]hok001[/nom]It'll be slow, right? Atom processor and 1 GB of RAM, not exactly the right hardware to run Windows 7.[/citation]
Wasn't there a net book version of Windows 7 in the works at one time?

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]BSMonitor[/nom]Wasn't there a net book version of Windows 7 in the works at one time?[/citation]
Yes. It is called Windows 7 Starter Edition. It ships, currently, with the vast majority of netbooks. It works ok, if you can live with it's limitations. However, many of the limitations are that of Windows 7 Starter, not the netbook. One of the 1st recommendations I make to clients upon the purchasing of a netbook is to see if they can get a student copy of Windows 7 Professional and upgrade their OS. Home Premium/Pro/Ultimate works just fine on even older netbooks with N270 processors or better...

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]ProDigit10[/nom]Battery life lasts just a couple of minutes past booting time! :)[/citation]
The SSD assures that...
Oh, and you got to get a double capacity battery from Hong Kong on eBay... Then you get like 4 minutes.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]JD13[/nom]Why is this even a headline if they aren't even considering selling it in the US?[/citation]
Because the US comprises only 5% of the world you selfish prick

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]previewofwindows8ftl[/nom]No doubt, based on the drooling predictions of all the Ballmer-knob-slobberers 'round here, this should sell about a bazillion units and utterly destroy all other competitors.Or, more likely, it will fly like a lead balloon like all the other "OMG WE PUT A PC IN UR PHONE SO YOU CAN CRASH WHILE YOU TALK" projects that tried to wedge a desktop UI into a touch format...[/citation]
Of course if Apple did this you would be slobbering all over Steve Jobs knob instead

Fanbois, easy to spot

G

No one will buy it who doesnt read Tom's Hardware.../productfail

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]dimar[/nom]Would be interested if it had 4GB of RAM.[/citation]
1GB is enough for a mobile Win7 install if you know what you're doing. But I would agree that more is better. I suspect it gets difficult and costly cramming all that into that form factor, however. Either way I'd be more concerned about heat and power consumption under a heavy load.

Status
Not open for further replies.