This Phone Actually Runs Windows 7 Home Prem.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

__Miguel_

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
Wow, now that's something I didn't expect to see from such a big manufacturer... Windows 7 Smartphone... sweet!

Now, three questions still bug me: 1) how come the front-facing camera "changes" (read: looses) resolution in Win7 mode?; 2) since Win7 is a "mode", do you think there is an ARM CPU in there as well, to handle smartphone duties?; 3) Can you actually make full use of the phone (call handling, messaging, etc.) while in Win7 mode?

I'm excited to see how the next generation will fare... Between Windows 8 handling ARM CPUs and Atom-class CPUs entering ARM territory with decreased power consumption, there might not take that long for your next low-end PC being a docked smartphone...

Cheers.

G

Might consider checking out this phone. It's what I've always wanted in a phone. A full windows OS.

turrbo

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
Windows 7 is not for phones, it was not designed for touch.
Intel Atom is not for phones (at least yet), also it was designed for low consumption, it does not stand a chance against ARM designs.
This phone was just an exercise :)

decembermouse

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
[citation][nom]sh4dow83[/nom]who with at least a little knowledge of computers would installs stuff like that on a system partition anyway? i got nothing but windows on mine (though of course i can't control all the crap that programs dump there without my consent) and it's at 31.3GB by now. half a year ago, it was ~15GB. so don't act as if one would have to install all kinds of stuff on the same drive to make windows grow.my father has installed NOTHING over the past half year, yet he went from 4GB of free space to none. back then, i didn't know about the winsxs-effect yet and figured if he doesn't install anything and regularly deletes his temp-files he should be fine - well, he's not. and now he and i have to put up with unnecessary bullshit because of incompetent programmers at microsoft.[/citation]

sh4dow83, give CCleaner a shot, as well as Disk Cleanup (built into Windows). CCleaner has additional options you can select to clean out things, like DNS cache and Windows Error Reporting, that aren't selected by default, as well.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
There are a lot of videos and reviews on Youtube for those interested.

Fujitsu has a long history in making UMPCs that run surprisingly well (at least for the Japanese market) and this is no exception, really. A lot of things run quite well on this, and it has a 2-hour battery life in Win7 mode.

dalauder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I've seen 8GB of SO-DIMM DDR3 (2x4GB) on sale for $25 ($35 isn't rare at all). What kind of RAM is going in this phone because I can't imagine how putting 2GB in it could not be worth charging an extra $25.

The difference going from 1GB to 2GB of RAM with Windows 7 is huge--it lets you do stuff. 1GB of RAM is severely limiting and a bunch of programs tell you they can't launch. More than 2GB of RAM isn't necessary for most people most of the time so I'm pretty confused that they decided 1GB was enough.

dalauder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]sh4dow83[/nom]who with at least a little knowledge of computers would installs stuff like that on a system partition anyway? i got nothing but windows on mine (though of course i can't control all the crap that programs dump there without my consent) and it's at 31.3GB by now. half a year ago, it was ~15GB. so don't act as if one would have to install all kinds of stuff on the same drive to make windows grow.my father has installed NOTHING over the past half year, yet he went from 4GB of free space to none. back then, i didn't know about the winsxs-effect yet and figured if he doesn't install anything and regularly deletes his temp-files he should be fine - well, he's not. and now he and i have to put up with unnecessary bullshit because of incompetent programmers at microsoft.[/citation]You need to get your Dad a bigger hard drive. I run a bunch of stuff on my system partition--whatever I want to be fastest. But you're absolutely right that 32GB can't handle Windows 7 without a great deal of care taken in its setup and maintenance.

Anyways, one of these with HDMI out would be a lot more useful to me than a laptop. I'm definitely intrigued. If they can get these down to $500 and get kinks worked out, I'd go for one for my next laptop. That also implies that it would end up with something like a Trinity or Ivy Bridge APU--not Atom garbage. I can stick with my current laptop that's twice as fast until then.

Status
Not open for further replies.