Thoughts on this HP for my 14 year old?

Doctor Rob

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
if all your 14 year will be doing is documents and browsing the internet sure. if you want him to be able to play any games (other then card games) then nope.

Personally IF you can wait I would wait until black friday and then look on sites like newegg, amazon, best buy, and such.. (and in my experience the only HP laptop that lasted more then 6 months were the expensive business ones) I have never had issues with asus and acer laptops (acer for my kids as they are normally cheaper and I wait untill black friday / cyber monday to get ones and I have 3 acer laptops and I would not worry about a SSD when the system only has 4GB ram, slow CPU and a SSD that is 128GB or smaller (250GB is really a min in my experience and I deal with around 40 laptops ALL except 2 or 3 of them have SSDs and a min of 250GB as the ones that were smaller once you install just a couple programs even when you have a second drive it takes up more and more C drive space (even when installed on the D other drive) and you get issues..

Mike_368

Prominent
May 10, 2017

Stream his HD collection currently on external HD's and surf the internet, nothing more. Gaming IS NOT a concern, just video especially Blu-Ray back ups and x265 files (which give issues on the current old as dirt laptop)

Mike_368

Prominent
May 10, 2017

BTW right now he has an OLD Dell 1555 Studio with HD 4500 graphics. It does everything he needs but a few of his video files like x265 pixelate every now and again

jaslion

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

What are the specs of the current laptop?