Threat Predictions 2012: Advertisers will Become Spammers

Status
Not open for further replies.

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
Oh, good. I wasnt getting enough spam via all of the gaming companies getting hacked and letting these people sell my email address to everybody.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
is spam really a problem anymore? I have a Gmail account since it was invite only, I haven't seen a single piece of spam in my inbox in the last eight months, and when one does get through it goes in my spam folder and I never get it again

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]klavis[/nom]How is that a prediction...it's been happening for a while.[/citation]

The prediction is more about the increase of it happening. It is a more vulnerable area while security is improving in more traditional ways making this route more and more appealing.

[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]is spam really a problem anymore? I have a Gmail account since it was invite only, I haven't seen a single piece of spam in my inbox in the last eight months, and when one does get through it goes in my spam folder and I never get it again[/citation]

Spam is not a problem to you or me. However when it comes to email providers themselves it is. The majority of sent on the internet is spam, this is not a exaggeration there is more spam than legitimate emails. Just imagine all that bandwidth and that bandwidth isn't free.
Then there is also the $70 billion yearly in lost productivity (Figures from 2008) from employees while on the job going through the spam. It has a much larger impact than most realize because they are not personally effected in a financial manner due to it.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Note to advertisers: the more you shove your shitty ad in my face, the more I'll boycott your product. Google Chrome's ad strategy is exactly why I STOPPED using Chrome and went back to Firefox. Because ads are annoying and waste my PC's resources and slow down the page loading a lot, I run an adblocker, and they're completely failed to get their point across. Man, if you JUST used plain text ads, I wouldn't block them. Shove them in my face and up my ass, and I will try my hardest to ignore you.

technuttso

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
Bios attack is not a new thing. There are some very few old "viruses" that attack on a bios level, by the time when such things where fun codes. I encountered such thing back in 2005, poor coded, but it did a mess with the power switch on some Intel mobo. The fun is in the future. :)

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
McAffee is surprisingly on the money for a company infamous for its notoriously poor products. Though in all honesty, part of the issue here is that conventional phishing scams appear to have reached saturation levels: every single one of my emails has, for instance, already received an attempt to phish the credentials for the World of WarCraft accounts I don't have.

I can just hope that the legal environment can adapt to combat this. After all, we have Congress pushing laws left and right to restrict speech in the name of "combating piracy," yet where's the similar stuff for combating spam? It's GENUINELY costing everyone lots of money; as NuclearShadow says, on the network level bandwidth certainly ain't free.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Hacking into non PC (Max, Win or whatever) systems is going to be a dangerous path.
It is one thing to mess with a user's machine, data or hardware, but once you start 'hacking' industrial devices or a car's computer you start playing with people's lives.

As sad -and controversial- as it sounds, but it will take some high profile fatalities resulting from such hacks that we take these criminals off the playing field.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]is spam really a problem anymore? I have a Gmail account since it was invite only, I haven't seen a single piece of spam in my inbox in the last eight months, and when one does get through it goes in my spam folder and I never get it again[/citation]
Start using that e-mail address to post to usenet. I can say with high probability that you will get spammed.

IMHO, spam is not about having an e-mail account at any particular provider. It is about what you do with that e-mail address. There are places where you definitely do not want to post your e-mail address.

casand

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
We consider the Adverdisor's as spammers because from the day one ,nobody is gonna a listen or give chance to the Advertisors words patiently.

Status
Not open for further replies.