Time stops while laptop is powerd off

May 30, 2013
Trying to fix a friend's laptop. The time stops when the machine is powered off. When the time is not correct, all security certificates show as invalid while innernetting.

ASUS Q500A
am megatrends version 208
gop version 3.0.14.1015
ec version 2300000F13

I have already installed Malwarebytes and anti-exploit and removed maybe 1000 baddies. Then installed Avast and ran it. No issues found. Ran CCleaner and fixed all.

Still wont keep time.

Tore it down and replaced CMOS 2032 with energizer brand battery(China).

Did a complete refresh of the system and reinstalled Win 8 64. Then updated and installed 8.1 and all updates. Still does not keep time.

I use the sync to internet time function at time.windows.com and it will keep time while on.

I noticed it was not keeping time while running the ~175 updates for win8. It advanced maybe 10 minutes over a 30 min timeframe.

In BIOS the system time shows the time the machine was shut down in hh/mm/ss format and the seconds are not advancing while in BIOS.

The BIOS version 208(from factory) seems to be most current as only a ver 205 and 207 are listed for the machine on the ASUS site.

ASUS chat tech support is as useless as expected.

I can't think of anything else to try.

Any thoughts? I'm about to tell her to go buy a new laptop or just deal with it.

Thanks guys

Solution
Either the CMOS battery circuit is broken, or something with the RTC chip on boards.

Unless you an electronics pro and can trace stuff for voltages and replace chips if needed by soldering, buy a new one or deal with it.

There are lots of windows programs that can update time when started, so install one that will set the time on bootup.
Either the CMOS battery circuit is broken, or something with the RTC chip on boards.

Unless you an electronics pro and can trace stuff for voltages and replace chips if needed by soldering, buy a new one or deal with it.

There are lots of windows programs that can update time when started, so install one that will set the time on bootup.

Solution

DiegoD

Estimable
May 12, 2015
It is most likely the CMocs battery, a coin battery on the motherboard. It could be the RTC chip like getochkn said, but it is most likely the battery. Go to the store buy a new one and replace it. Worse case scenario you wasted $2.00 and uncovered a larger issue for much less than having someone uncover it for you.

from the OP

Tore it down and replaced CMOS 2032 with energizer brand battery(China).

DiegoD

Estimable
May 12, 2015

Well this will sound stupid but have you checked to make sure the battery isn't dead? Held it to your tongue?

May 30, 2013

I have a battery tester and tested it before install.

May 30, 2013

found this link to use the windows scheduler to sync at startup to work-around the real problem. I set it to run after a 30 sec delay to allow for the innernette connection.
http://www.pretentiousname.com/timesync/

I would have done this in the first place if I knew how much of a pain it was to replace that battery. If BIOS settings are not changed from factory I could see this as a solution to any dead CMOS battery issues if someone doesn't want to take their laptop to bits.

CZ_Data_GUY

Estimable
Nov 11, 2015

I have the same problem. Did the new battery fix it? I couldn't be sure from reading this post. If so, off to the drugstore I go.