Time Warner and NBC Serve Up a Slap for Apple

Status
Not open for further replies.

guzz46

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
reformatting would be expensive and not worth the money because Flash dominates the Web
But apple claim you get a much better web browsing experience with the ipad than you do with a laptop, surely apple wouldn't be lying.

haunted one

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
Ironic that this news is published on the day the iPad is released in Canada.
I turn on the TV and it says "iPad mania hits Canada"
>>> *proceeds to power off TV and resume daily activities*

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]twisted politiks[/nom]LOL to Apple. When you only control 8% of the market, you don't call the shots.[/citation]
Regardless of market control, you don't call shots. Silverlight anyone?

axe1592

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
F Apple. Just F them in the ear!

This is why I hate Apple. "We'll build some cool stuff but we'll charge you 4 times what it should be worth AND you HAVE to use OUR stuff. We're not going to make our stuff compatible with the 95% of stuff out there."

I love iTunes! I HATE that the songs I buy from there cant be played on anything BUT iTunes.

vartok

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
and here i was hoping this would push companies to go HTML5.... not an apple fanboy (dont have an iphone)... just hate the way flash runs

doorspawn

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
I don't like Apple's product separatism and won't buy anything from them that doesn't play nice with other companies.

However, for the first time, I am 100% on Apple's side.
Flash is a poor, dying, anticompetitive technology.
It isn't supported and works poorly on a common and very fast-growing platform (64 bit Linux), although they have known about this for years.

Anyone who is sticking with flash is making a very bad business decision and will lose much custom.

bochica

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
Hulu (run by NBC) tested HTML5 vs. Flash 10.1, and they said HTML5 is great, but it just doesn't work for the content that they stream. Not only that it is very insecure when it comes to streaming the content. There was also a study between HTML5 and Flash 10.1 on both Mac and Windows OS's. Flash 10.1 performed just as well, if not better, than HTML5. Problem for the Mac/Safari combo was at the time, Apple wouldn't allow Adobe access to the API needed for hardware acceleration. I have not heard how much improvement there has been since Apple gave limited access.

Still I am glad some giants are sticking up to Apple's communism. Job's claims that Apple is an "open platform," when in fact it is the most closed platform out there.

TheKurrgan

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Reminds me of days gone by, except instead of Microsoft attempting to dictate terms to the industry, it is Apple. Seems they are becoming that which they detest. They haven't even bothered to do it underhandedly like Microsoft did, they are just outright dictating. So, they seem to have surpassed their nemesis on this front.
In short on the whole Apple VS Adobe thing: FAIL.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
So why doesn't anyone cry about Google since as far as I'm concerned, they're the main force behind HTML5 adoption. You people act like you have stock in Adobe or something. Just pitiful.

As far as NBC, what do they have that anyone wants to watch anyways? Their most popular shows are the Office and 30 Rock, and they're dwindling. They screwed over Conan. And their one big sensation (3 years ago) Heroes has been canceled. They should be bending over backwards to reach as wide an audience as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.