Time Warner Cable Finally Testing Online TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

zozzlhandler

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
Since when is $60 (for a PCIE TV tuner card) big bucks? You pay once, you're done. Online cable shows may be worth a small access fee though (especially if it allows me to drop the execrable cable service...

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Online access to video content is apples-to-oranges compared to a TV tuner card. If anything they compliment one and other. Anything less than the price/month of an additional HD set top box and I'm in. Of course it would have to offer something better than a SlingBox (commercial free, higher quality?).

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
Just a though...

For those with a cable subscription, why not have internet cable available at no extra charge. Make your service better and people won't F'n cancel.

Here is another thought, and this is a good one. How about not running 9 months of repeats and 3 months of new stuff?

Seriously, I pay over $110 a month for HDcable/internet here in Canada and all i get is 12 new episods a year of each show. YAH, i got 300 channels, ALL re-runs.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]JohnnyLucky[/nom]I went on vacation and when I came back I couldn't find the Sci-Fi Channel on the schedule. Had a panic attack.[/citation]
lol

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Time Warner's new plans start at $19.95 a month, and comes with 500 minutes of viewing time. Additional plans increase the viewing time, leading all the way up to unlimited viewing for just $179 a month. When asked about the pricing scheme, Time Warner's head of consumer affairs said "50% of all TV delivered is watched by only a small minority of our customers. We don't feel its fair for somone who only wants to watch American Idol twice a week to pay for the TV viewing of the select few who choose to watch all 23 airings of Sports Center each day on ESPN".

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
[citation][nom]zozzlhandler[/nom]Since when is $60 (for a PCIE TV tuner card) big bucks? You pay once, you're done. Online cable shows may be worth a small access fee though (especially if it allows me to drop the execrable cable service...I think that[/citation]
While I don't think tuner cards are expensive I do prefer the accessibility offered by sites like hulu. The show is just there, I don't have to record or store it. What I would like to see is a hulu-like service where shows do not expire and where the shows appear on the site at the moment they begin airing over traditional networks. I'd also like to see more networks contributing shows. I would happily pay for the service I described, say $10 - $15 per month. Seems reasonable to me especially if there were no commercials.

AMDThunder

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
I'm sure they'll find some way to jack it up so no one will use the service. Charge money for what I"m already paying for to watch on the TV? 5 bucks a month tops if I can get rid of a cable box.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Sorry Time Warner. I canceled my internet and television service months ago when you talked about bandwidth caps and you won't ever have my business again. Not only that but I make sure if anyone EVER asks me about which cable/internet service provider they should get the only reason I mention TWC is to make sure they DON'T sign up for your service.

JohnnyLucky

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
The apartment complex where I live includes Cox Cable basic and expanded cable in the monthly rent. I pay extra for Internet access. I bet the monthly rent will go up if Cox ever implements the plan.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
General Electric Co's Syfy (or Sci-Fi for those of you who hate the new lame name)
I do hate the new name. Although I do like the new bumpers and commercials they made for it.

Also, PCIe TV cards are cheap! You can get a digital/analog USB stick for as cheap as $30. However, I went with a top card (dual analog, dual digital; NTSC, ATSC, QAM) for $130.

wifiwolf

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
US really needs get at Europe's level in this department. Every ISP now has a home tv , mobile tv and online tv service. We've had online tv (official) since 2000, mobile tv since 3g have been made.
Stand up for what should be yours. That's even aggravated by those internet plans prices and inet+iptv+mobile combo prices.

AMDnoob

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
maybe i'd go for it... if it wasnt Time Warner offering the service. Had them and was completely unsatisfied with their inconsistencies in service (channel's appeared and disappeared), and the per month bill for the bundle (internet, phone, TV) sky-rocketed in just a few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.