Time Warner, Comcast Bring Cable TV to Net

Status
Not open for further replies.

trevorblain

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
Had to laugh at: "This marks the very logical next evolution of where cable television has come from."

I'm not saying I disagree, but this from a company that scant weeks ago wanted to impose caps for its internet subscribers to combat exactly this sort of thing. So, they got a taste of how well that notion was going to set with the paying customers, and jumped tracks? Don't feed me a line about "experimenting with business models"... Of course they will end up charging a fee for this "service", they are still sour over the idea of losing revenue from cableTV subscribers as said subscribers systematically discover they can watch their favorite shows (commercial free, no less, which is personally the primary reason I refuse to watch live television) through sources like Netflix or DVD rips on torrent.

Nice try TW, you might be on the right track, but you still don't quite have your finger on the pulse of your subscribers. Basic rule of business: Offer what they want (not what you want to force on them) and they will flock to you willingly.

gorehound

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
Time Warner and Comcast Corp. are assholes who wil do anything to milk us of our money while they cap our net accounts with consumption billing.
and they post this thing............
i am beginnning to see the light.
(2 days after watching slime warner i used up my cap) and now i am paying a dollar a gig for the rest of the month

mavroxur

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
Combine this with the proposed download caps and it sounds like a win-win situation for the cable companies. Unfortunately, on the flip side, it's a lose-lose for the consumer.

Vettedude

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
[citation][nom]ChrisJust66[/nom]What about the download caps?[/citation]
This is so that they make sure you are over the caps. Just another way to pry money out of customers hands.

cletus_slackjawd

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
I think this is a good way for the cable providers to compete with satellite TV companies. Many in the USA have Dish or Direct TV and high speed internet. When I can get some good programming through the computer I may want to drop satellite.

caqde

Distinguished
May 31, 2007
This is so that they make sure you are over the caps. Just another way to pry money out of customers hands.

Yep it is a nice way to charge you twice for watching that show on "TV". First you pay for watching the Channel and then you pay for watching it to long. :)

-unknown-

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
[citation][nom]caqde[/nom]Yep it is a nice way to charge you twice for watching that show on "TV". First you pay for watching the Channel and then you pay for watching it to long.[/citation]
This is what surprised me, they're only offering it to current subscribers.

What are you doing offering internet broadcasts to subscribers? Its the non-subscribers that want to catch the channel online so they don't have to pay for a subscription. Add banner ads or an extra minute of ads (since you're not limited to a 30 minute window for a show on the internet) and offer it for free... then you'll get a lot attention for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.