Time Warner Curbs Internet Usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
I hate to say this, but 166MB's a day is not enough for even the person doing the barest of the barest of online surfing or downloading.
That 40GB's a month is also not enough for even the middle-range downloaders as well, since movies, music and streaming video are pretty big files.
I'll be blunt: I stayed away from Bittorrent for a month not too long ago, and I was shocked at how much bandwidth I had used at the end of the month: 100GB's.
Now, I am on the internet quite a bit watching online video, posting on forums, etc........ but no more than other people my age are.
So if my bandwidth usage is that high JUST with using internet browsers and FTP.... these amounts for a normal user are kinda 'low', to be blunt.

Learn_w_Graffix

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Is TW the only ISP in that area? If so, the poor folks there will have no choice (other than dial-up). Interesting how the cable companies promised commercial-free TV when they first started laying cable through everyone's yard; now cable TV is filled with commercials! Who is supposed to regulate / protect consumers from monopolies like cable Internet providers? If there was true competition, TW would only do what customers thought was fair. Without it, customers are stuck.

G

well, well..
i'm a subscriber of time warner, but if that is the approach they are taking now.
i feel sorry for them. but i prefer to pay 70 usd DSL 8 mbps to earthlink, that having a cap on my downloads. i have a htpc. and i download almost all HD documentary and play then on my HTPC and that alone is more than 90gb a month, and i do it every now and then, not all day or all weeks. I feel sorry for timewarner, but with new technology coming really fast on their way. Verizon fios, New IP tv and satellite. and many other ways to be online. i really don't see a bright future for time warner..

G

In 2005, Kansai Electric Power started 1 Gbit/s FTTH service at 8700yen (90US$).

wiki article on "Internet in Japan".

TWC has NO GROUNDS to charge $55 for such terrble service, especially capped! They say consumers have gotten used to unlimited bandwidth. TWC has gotten used to getting away with half-assed service and charging for it.

I really hope an HONEST company comes around and provides fiber connections with 10x the speed at half the cost, as is possible.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Wow, I probably average about 5-10GB a day down and even more up. So for this service I'd be paying $55 plus (at 5 up/down a day) $260 for extra usage (300GB over 30 days). WTF is this crap. Right now I pay about $100 (after tax) for 18Mb/s unlimited and digital cable w/ some extra channels thrown in. I would NOT pay $315 a month just for internet.

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
They seem smart enough to know that only 5% of users are hogging the majority of their bandwidth - why don't they tax those 5% of users instead of every subscriber? Oh, excuse me, the TW CEO's "greedy son" is included in that 5%...

Next they'll be charging us a quarter every time we double-click on firefox. Nice job corporate America. What happened to freedom???

Status
Not open for further replies.