Titan black or gtx 780+quadro k4000 for 3d modeling/gaming

boagz

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2014
So I recently purchased a gtx 780 SC with the intention of gaming and doing 3d modeling work and game development with maya/blender/unreal engine 4. Originally, I was thinking of starting with the 780 and maybe a little later get the mid range quadro k4000 to use specifically for the 3d modeling work. I was wondering if just purchasing a GTX titan black with its double precision floating point performance would be a better option? Doing this would be around 100-150 cheaper and I would be able to game and do 3d modeling work with one card. I guess my main question is does the titan black compare with the quadro card mentioned above in terms of 3d modeling? Wasn't sure how much the titan black's double precision float performance means for applications like these. I know the K4000 is a mid-ranged card so I wasn't sure if the titan maybe would do even a little better than the k4000? Any help appreciated.

Solution
Alright first thing you should know is the difference between a quadro card and a Geforce card is mainly but not entirely the drivers.

Quadro: Professional focus drivers have primarily focused on floating point, CUDA, math, and compute.

Geforce: consumer focus drivers are designed for graphics performance.

The Titan fills a niche (killed off after 500 series) for people that need the compute performance with CUDA and the like but don't necessarily need the Drivers and price that comes with the quadro.

Essentially what you are paying for with the quadro is a powerful platform but that has drivers that are highly optimized to improve performance with specific tasks such as 3d modeling. The Titan will work much better than a 780 and...

Spectre694

Estimable
Feb 28, 2014
Alright first thing you should know is the difference between a quadro card and a Geforce card is mainly but not entirely the drivers.

Quadro: Professional focus drivers have primarily focused on floating point, CUDA, math, and compute.

Geforce: consumer focus drivers are designed for graphics performance.

The Titan fills a niche (killed off after 500 series) for people that need the compute performance with CUDA and the like but don't necessarily need the Drivers and price that comes with the quadro.

Essentially what you are paying for with the quadro is a powerful platform but that has drivers that are highly optimized to improve performance with specific tasks such as 3d modeling. The Titan will work much better than a 780 and probably around the same as k4000 maybe slightly less.

Solution

anbello262

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
I would certainly suggest the Titan black. It's the best of both world, except that it omits some enterprise specific functions. It's mainly designed for people like you, who want some muscle in DP, but dont need those other features (like ECC memory and the like). And, it's also a great gaming card, like the 780ti. There is no doubt here, for me, get the Titan black, and maybe sell the 780?

boagz

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2014
Ya I'm still within my 30 day return policy on my 780 so that's why I'm trying to figure this out now lol. Thanks for the response guys. I just wasn't sure if the double precision floating point performance of the titan black was worth it for these programs.

Spectre694

Estimable
Feb 28, 2014

Oh ya the Titan will beat the pants off a 780 in rendering etc. Check out this chart it shows the blender speeds of some cards. The black is faster still than the titan on the graph (smaller is better!). Holds true for all related programs.
http://blenderartists.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=252840&d=1376397922

Thread it comes from
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?304005-NVidia-GeForce-GTX-560-580-590-2x590-3x590-Benchmark-in-Blender-Cycles-2-68