News Today's Wordle answer — solution #245, Saturday, February 19

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

wensystem3

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
When are the clues going to get accurate... Often they are misleading and a waste time on pointless clues!

as stated in the clues for Saturday 2/9/23
  • It contains one of the five vowels.*
  • There are two (!) repeated letters.
  • All three characters are in the ten most common Wordle letters.
The last clue gave the starting letter O.

I wasted a lot of time looking for todays answer with 1 vowel beginning with O and two repeated words.

Since when had ONION only had 1 vowel?

I can't be the only one getting annoyed at this when a bit of care could alleviate the waste of time.

Sep 14, 2023
I've been following your wordle commentaries for a while now, bad luck today.

If I had to give a tip so you can avoid this again, I find ruling out 'y' and 'h' early on makes a huge difference (I use 'stray' as a starter so didn't have a problem today).

Reactions: GrungeFace
Jun 9, 2023
I've been following your wordle commentaries for a while now, bad luck today.

If I had to give a tip so you can avoid this again, I find ruling out 'y' and 'h' early on makes a huge difference (I use 'stray' as a starter so didn't have a problem today).
It's best to just come here to get hints and not stick around for this guy's "strategy" stories, Starting with the same exact word day after day after day is a dumb, boring way to play Wordle.

I beat this guy's results regularly just by randomly picking a new word each day. Assuming that every day's Wordle is going to contain common letters is a flawed approach.

Sep 8, 2023
When my 1st word doesn't have any letters, my second choice is always JUICY. That gives me the other vowels *plus y* and often helps tremendously!

Oct 2, 2023
Just a quick find, if you're looking to use all top ten letters in your first two guesses, THOLE and RAINS does it, it also covers words ending in S, do RAINS first, because that is definitely on the Wordle answer chart, if you want to get the answer in one guess.

Last edited by a moderator:

wensystem3

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
So..

SIGHT has only one letter in the top 5 ????

How about I and T

Clues are misleading... I went with SIGHT as my answer regardless of the CLUE for 879 today.

PLD UK

Prominent
Sep 16, 2022
So..

SIGHT has only one letter in the top 5 ????

How about I and T

Clues are misleading... I went with SIGHT as my answer regardless of the CLUE for 879 today.
Yep - top 5 in order are E,A,R,T,O so on this occasion the clue is correct.
I is 7th, S is 8th and G&H are both in the teens.

PLD UK

Prominent
Sep 16, 2022
I don't get today's tips.... quote.
THROW

TOP 5 letters are ETAOI.. I can only see 2 letter from THROW in top 5.???
Nope ... As said above the top 5 in order are E,A,R,T,O so the clue is correct...
Once again it seems like you are deliberately looking for errors that aren't there...

PLD UK

Prominent
Sep 16, 2022
I seem to be on a bit of a roll at the moment - 3s every day so far this year! (Doubt it will last...)
Sticking faithfully to STARE as my opener, it's been so-so, and it's the second guess that's done the heavy work.
Yesterday, just a single Green E in 5th, so followed with CLONE which added yellow L&N and left only the correct LUNGE or the unlikely INKLE.
Today, the same green E was joined by a yellow A, so followed with DANCE which turned the A green and added a yellow C, leaving a 50:50 CABLE or CACHE and luckily I went the right one...

Mar 19, 2024
I got #417 3/6 and I am now playing with Hard mode turned off after managing to read your "hard mode - annoying mode" section. I am relatively new to Wordle having played only 12 games with a current streak of 7 (although I do have a 100% win rate). I have changed my mind about Hard mode, as it is definitely more tactical to use completely different letters in your next word even if you have got a few yellow/green hits on maybe your 1st or 2nd try. And yes, we want Wordle to be about strategy rather than simply luck (but I'll take some luck too when it comes my way!)

I started with STARE same as you did today, with pretty disastrous results I followed with DOING as it's one of the words you recommended as a follow up but also because I can now that I switched hard mode off! I admit that I did luck out for that with a 65 score from Wordle bot. This left me with only 5 possible solutions - CLING, FLING, ICING, LYING or VYING although I had only considered 4 and had not thought of the last word. I opted for CLING purely on the basis of letters C, L being most probable and got rewarded with a 3/6. Wordle bot gave me a luck score of 90 for choosing CLING which I thought was a bit harsh?

Anyway, it's only the 2nd time I've got a 3/6 so I'm well pleased with today's result. As some practice, I'm trying to solve all the Wordle archives from #0 and managed to find a website that allows me to try at: https://wordlearchive.com/. So far I've done the first 14 with 100% win rate and solved 2 of them in 3/6.
I got a 2/6 with ADOBE. Turns out, it got 99 luck!

May 11, 2024
Tom…..I notice you use a lot of plurals in your wordle guesses. Under wordle rules it says an answer will never be a plural so all your guesses with S at the end are just wasted guesses