Top of picture on Samsung TV is cut off and displayed on the very bottom of the screen instead

spookytuesday

Commendable
Nov 8, 2016
While watching my Samsung LED Smart TV tonight I noticed a problem that seemed to come out of the blue. There is a line running across the entire length of the screen, about an inch down from the top, and the space between the line and the top of the screen looks like it has a shadow over it, and part of it is cut off. Meanwhile, what should be being displayed across the very top of the screen is being displayed across the bottom of it instead. It is happening on every input source, and even the menu is affected by it when it's on the screen. Has anyone heard of anything like this, or maybe knows what exactly the issue is?

Hello.

Sadly, an horizontal line and rollover means a defective panel 99.999% of the time. This is replaceable, but very costly, since Samsung sells it's individual panel higher than the cost of the TV.

You can try a firmware update for you TV and see if this solves the issue though. Enter your model and follow firmware upgrade procedures:
http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/category/tvav/television/

I would strongly suggest checking if you still have a valid warranty and return it for a replacement. If you don't have a valid warranty...you are better off buying a new TV.

spookytuesday

Commendable
Nov 8, 2016

Thank you for answering. Did the firmware update and it didn't do anything. The problem is now expanded to the point where if the TV is off for a while and I turn it on the whole picture is shadowy and shaking for about 20 minutes, so yeah... it doesn't look good. Looks like I'll be doing some TV shopping on Black Friday...