Torchlight 2 Delayed for Tweaks and Balancing

Status
Not open for further replies.

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
I bought Torchlight 2 4-pack for me and my friends just because I hated all the implementation Activision put into Diablo 3.

Nerfing bosses and enemies, crappy online features, greedy auction house practices are just some of the reason why I stayed away from Diablo 3.

My friends all have it and after they beaten the game a few times, while they liked the game, it wasn't worth all the lag, price, and lack of fun compared to Diablo 2 we had in the past.

I'm glad Runic is putting all the extra time in getting the gameplay right. I didn't get into beta unfortunately but I hope it'll be worth the wait if me and my friends have a blast playing together.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
just tell me... is the game more like diablo 1 or 2 with dealing with new game + or is it the abysmal torchlight one new game +

that right there is the difference between me buying it, or never getting it. torchlight 1 was fun, but i despised how it handled new game+ so very much.

arctic23

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
That's why I didn't bought Diablo 3, will wait for Torchlight and hope there won't be any ridiculous DRM and the game will be actually better.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
[citation][nom]arctic23[/nom]That's why I didn't bought Diablo 3, will wait for Torchlight and hope there won't be any ridiculous DRM and the game will be actually better.[/citation]

I loved Torchlight. Its pretty fun. ALready preordered TL2 but the wait is killer. I got D3 to play with my friends and it is fun but the difficulty ramp up is just insane from normal to Nightmare.

I still feel that TL2 will be better as it will allow for more customizations of the players and the only DRM I can see is STeam which is fine with me.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]I loved Torchlight. Its pretty fun. ALready preordered TL2 but the wait is killer. I got D3 to play with my friends and it is fun but the difficulty ramp up is just insane from normal to Nightmare.[/citation]
lol, if you think the difficulty ramp from normal to nightmare is insane, just wait until you get to inferno... if you ever do. I don't really recall having much trouble advancing until maybe act 4 nightmare or act 1 hell. Up to that point I hadn't used the auction house at all (I relied on crafting and farming for new items) and I hadn't even felt pressure to try different builds. In fact I don't think I even died up to that point.

However I am finding act 2 and 3 of inferno to be difficult... very difficult. And I would say unless you spend absolutely absurd amounts of time farming act 1, you won't be able to advance to act 2 without making extensive use of the auction house. Contrary to what Blizzard has said, even after act 2 inferno was nerfed, by this point in the game it's practically impossible to advance through farming and crafting alone.

pythy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Don't worry about the tweaking, just do what Blizzard did and patch it after the game comes out cos I just want to play it now!!!

TAKE MY MONEY!!!

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Good good take your time and make it perfect. So its launch will be flawless unlike it's brother aka stupid Diablo 3. I plan to buy several copies =D so i can gift them to few friends.

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]asd32e[/nom]its not hard to beat diablo 3, that bar is pretty low...[/citation]
Torchlight never competed with Diablo. Torchlight is a DoTA-style game, so it competes with DoTA, not Diablo. It has Diablo-like single-player, but Torchlight is always about multiplayer only.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
was hoping to play this when my hollidays start in a bit over a weeks time. Oh well. I did get saints row on the steam sale, so I might survive.

[citation][nom]master_chen[/nom]Torchlight never competed with Diablo. Torchlight is a DoTA-style game, so it competes with DoTA, not Diablo. It has Diablo-like single-player, but Torchlight is always about multiplayer only.[/citation]
Have you tried Torchlight? I've not tried DoTA, but it's like LoL isn't it? Torchlight I have played, many times. It's very much like the first Diablo but without gold taking up inventory space and with a shared stash like Diablo 3 [copied]. The only big difference between the two is a weak plot in Torchlight and the absence of uniques like [replicated] in Diablo 3.

As for the multiplayer remark. If Torchlight was about multiplayer, it'd have supported it. It was meant as a modern Diablo. Not a modern Diablo II. The first Diablo was released in january 1997 (pirated versions in December of 1996). Back then singleplayer was the focus and multiplayer merely an option over lan (ipx) or local with nullmodem cable. Battle.net was there, but who had a modem fast enough?
Diablo II hit around a time where ADSL started to roll out and some had already switched, while some others were on a 'fast' bundled ISDN line. Multiplayer mightn't have been the primary focus, but it certainly was when the expansion hit the streets.

In short - Torchlight has very much in common with the original Diablo.

I just hope it won't be as much of a disappointment as DNF or Diablo 3.

GNCD

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
[citation][nom]dragonsqrrl[/nom]lol, if you think the difficulty ramp from normal to nightmare is insane, just wait until you get to inferno... if you ever do. I don't really recall having much trouble advancing until maybe act 4 nightmare or act 1 hell. Up to that point I hadn't used the auction house at all (I relied on crafting and farming for new items) and I hadn't even felt pressure to try different builds. In fact I don't think I even died up to that point.However I am finding act 2 and 3 of inferno to be difficult... very difficult. And I would say unless you spend absolutely absurd amounts of time farming act 1, you won't be able to advance to act 2 without making extensive use of the auction house. Contrary to what Blizzard has said, even after act 2 inferno was nerfed, by this point in the game it's practically impossible to advance through farming and crafting alone.[/citation]

not impossible. i'm already in act 3 without using the RMAH. just drops and cheap stuff from the gold AH. just play coop with people that know what the hell they are doing. not the kind of people that just run blindly into a pack of elites then running away only to run into trash mobs and getting killed by said trash mobs.

clivene09

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
[citation][nom]master_chen[/nom]Torchlight never competed with Diablo. Torchlight is a DoTA-style game, so it competes with DoTA, not Diablo. It has Diablo-like single-player, but Torchlight is always about multiplayer only.[/citation]
It is obvious you have never played Torchlight as 1) the first game doesn't even have a multiplayer mode, and 2) it is very much like Diablo, and not at all like DOTA as it is an action RPG, and not a tower defense game.

msgun98

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
Little sad this game will launch AFTER GW2. Was hoping to have it as a great game to play before August 25th. Alas, I'll see Torchlight 2 when it goes on sale on steam.

Status
Not open for further replies.