Torn between HP HP Pavilion and HP ENVY - 15t Slim Quad Laptop

trevormoon

Estimable
Sep 23, 2014
Looking to buy a new laptop and currently cant decide between these two. Very similar only differences between the two is the Pavillion has a touchscreen and a cd/dvd drive and no back lit keyboard. The Envy has a back lit keyboard without the two features of the Pavillion. Would either model be better built or more reliable? I've heard touchscreens break far easier and use a ton of battery power and I'm not sure I would use it that much. Any opinions welcome!

HP ENVY - 15t Slim Quad Laptop
Windows 10 Home 64
6th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ Quad Core Processor + Intel(R) HD Graphics 530
8GB DDR3L System Memory (1 Dimm)
15.6-inch diagonal Full HD WLED-backlit IPS Display (1920x1080)
1TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
Office Software Trial
Security Software Trial
6-cell 47WHr Lithium-ion Battery
No DVD or CD Drive
Backlit Keyboard
HP TrueVision HD Webcam with Dual Digital Microphone
Intel 802.11ac WLAN and Bluetooth(R) [1x1]

HP Pavilion
Newest 6th Gen Skylake Intel Core i7-6700HQ 2.60 GHz with Turbo Boost Technology up to 3.50 GHz, Intel HD Graphics 530 with shared graphics memory
8GB DDR3L 1600MHz SDRAM(1 DIMM), 1TB Hard Drive, Tray load DVD Drive (Reads and Writes to DVD/CD), 2 USB 3.0, 1 USB 2.0
15.6 inch Full HD IPS Touchscreen (1920 x 1080), 10-finger multi-touch support, HDMI, 720p HD Webcam
Gigabit 802.11AC WiFi, 1G LAN Ethernet, Bluetooth, Multi-format digital media card reader
Windows 10 Home 64, B&O PLAY with 2 speakers

Wilmingtech

Commendable
Feb 16, 2016

Trevor -

I just bought the 15t Quad Slim Laptop. Primary reason, it was the only version you could get the 6700 and Nvidia 950m chipset together. Touch screen to me is gimmicky for my work laptop (more of a tablet feature I'd look for on a convertible laptop) and I may have used my CD drive 3 or 4 times in the last year. Neither were a deal breaker.

I've worked in the networking/computer world for over 20 years now and have been through my share of Dells, Toshibas, Macs, Asus/MSIs...etc. And I always come back to HP. Usually because if you wait you can snag one at a good price (I just paid 779 for the 15t Quad Slim, 6700, 950m, 1080 IPS screen). I think everytime I buy an HP now I just skimp on the HD and Memory (upgrade myself) and I usually replumb the cooling (grind down a copper penny for the GPU and apply new thermal paste on the CPU).

I really did like the cooling options on other models but I don't do much gaming so heat has never been a bother and I was really attracted to the slim design of the 15t Quad Slim.

I'll try to be active on reporting back on the 15t-Q400 as I haven't really seen any reviews on it. Laptops is due around the 5th of March, Let us know what you went with and why.

-Sean