toroidal LNB skew question

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

Hi,
I have a wavefrontier toroidal 90 dish. The instructions don't
address skew for the LNB, I guess most applications are intended for
circular polarized ones for Direct or dish or evu. Well I am trying to
get AMC4 (see previous posts) and can't get more than 3 video and two
radio channels no matter what. I can get a huge number on T5. Played
with skew of LNB and nothing seems better than straight up and down
with respect to dish which is skewed itself. Wrote email to
wavefrontier and they say I don't need to skew the LNB. Seems to me
that the skew of the dish is not the same as the skew angle associated
with the LNB, any ideas? Also, since there are two reflectors, if the
LNB did have to be skewed, should it be a mirror image of the skew on a
single reflector dish (similar to the fact that you have to use
inverted circularly polarized LNBs for direct and dish)?
I'll throw in another question. When I do a power scan on my fortec
ultra lifetime, it gets more hits than the 5 channels I get. I assume
the rest of these are scrambled or other signals? Also, the
transponder frequencies don't necessarily comply with what is stated on
the Lyngsat site. For instance, the WVGN is supposed to be 11991V but
I don't get that particular frequency but others in that range. If I
try advanced scan and put in 11991 V and the symbol rate that Lyngsat
says, I don't get anything. I try a few MHZ on either side of 11991
and vary the symbol rate also with no luck. Have a spare primestar
dish, will try that next in case it is toroidal not being strong enough
(although Dish is very strong as is T5 and a few other Ku sats).

thanks,
jaime
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

jaimesummer@yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a wavefrontier toroidal 90 dish. The instructions don't
> address skew for the LNB, I guess most applications are intended for
> circular polarized ones for Direct or dish or evu. Well I am trying to
> get AMC4 (see previous posts) and can't get more than 3 video and two
> radio channels no matter what. I can get a huge number on T5. Played
> with skew of LNB and nothing seems better than straight up and down
> with respect to dish which is skewed itself. Wrote email to
> wavefrontier and they say I don't need to skew the LNB. Seems to me
> that the skew of the dish is not the same as the skew angle associated
> with the LNB, any ideas? Also, since there are two reflectors, if the
> LNB did have to be skewed, should it be a mirror image of the skew on a
> single reflector dish (similar to the fact that you have to use
> inverted circularly polarized LNBs for direct and dish)?

If the dish is skewed, then the LNBs don't need to be skewed.

Imagine looking at a flagpole that's stuck in the ground at 45 degrees.
You can turn your head to line up with it, or you can turn your body,
in which case you don't need to turn your head separately.

I imagine that for your dish to be skewed correctly, the skew needs
to be set according to the satellite that the center of the dish is
pointed to. I could be wrong on this, though, so be sure to check
with your installation instructions.

> I'll throw in another question. When I do a power scan on my fortec
> ultra lifetime, it gets more hits than the 5 channels I get. I assume
> the rest of these are scrambled or other signals? Also, the
> transponder frequencies don't necessarily comply with what is stated on
> the Lyngsat site. For instance, the WVGN is supposed to be 11991V but
> I don't get that particular frequency but others in that range. If I
> try advanced scan and put in 11991 V and the symbol rate that Lyngsat
> says, I don't get anything. I try a few MHZ on either side of 11991
> and vary the symbol rate also with no luck. Have a spare primestar
> dish, will try that next in case it is toroidal not being strong enough
> (although Dish is very strong as is T5 and a few other Ku sats).

No idea, sorry.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

No skew is needed on LNBFs since your reflector is skewed already.

! Check your LNBF settings.
! Make sure you have the correct LO frequency
! Check this forum and post your inquiry there:
http://www.sadoun.net/index.php?c=6


Zoyburg wrote:
> jaimesummer@yahoo.com wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I have a wavefrontier toroidal 90 dish. The instructions don't
> > address skew for the LNB, I guess most applications are intended for
> > circular polarized ones for Direct or dish or evu. Well I am trying to
> > get AMC4 (see previous posts) and can't get more than 3 video and two
> > radio channels no matter what. I can get a huge number on T5. Played
> > with skew of LNB and nothing seems better than straight up and down
> > with respect to dish which is skewed itself. Wrote email to
> > wavefrontier and they say I don't need to skew the LNB. Seems to me
> > that the skew of the dish is not the same as the skew angle associated
> > with the LNB, any ideas? Also, since there are two reflectors, if the
> > LNB did have to be skewed, should it be a mirror image of the skew on a
> > single reflector dish (similar to the fact that you have to use
> > inverted circularly polarized LNBs for direct and dish)?
>
> If the dish is skewed, then the LNBs don't need to be skewed.
>
> Imagine looking at a flagpole that's stuck in the ground at 45 degrees.
> You can turn your head to line up with it, or you can turn your body,
> in which case you don't need to turn your head separately.
>
> I imagine that for your dish to be skewed correctly, the skew needs
> to be set according to the satellite that the center of the dish is
> pointed to. I could be wrong on this, though, so be sure to check
> with your installation instructions.
>
> > I'll throw in another question. When I do a power scan on my fortec
> > ultra lifetime, it gets more hits than the 5 channels I get. I assume
> > the rest of these are scrambled or other signals? Also, the
> > transponder frequencies don't necessarily comply with what is stated on
> > the Lyngsat site. For instance, the WVGN is supposed to be 11991V but
> > I don't get that particular frequency but others in that range. If I
> > try advanced scan and put in 11991 V and the symbol rate that Lyngsat
> > says, I don't get anything. I try a few MHZ on either side of 11991
> > and vary the symbol rate also with no luck. Have a spare primestar
> > dish, will try that next in case it is toroidal not being strong enough
> > (although Dish is very strong as is T5 and a few other Ku sats).
>
> No idea, sorry.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Streaming Video & TVs 3
jnojr Streaming Video & TVs 0
K Streaming Video & TVs 2
R Streaming Video & TVs 2
J Streaming Video & TVs 1
T Streaming Video & TVs 1
M Streaming Video & TVs 2
J Streaming Video & TVs 3
K Streaming Video & TVs 2
R Streaming Video & TVs 1
S Streaming Video & TVs 1
A Streaming Video & TVs 3
B Streaming Video & TVs 2
W Streaming Video & TVs 5
R Streaming Video & TVs 9
W Streaming Video & TVs 3
I Streaming Video & TVs 2
S Streaming Video & TVs 3
K Streaming Video & TVs 3
G Streaming Video & TVs 5

ASK THE COMMUNITY