Question toshiba 46L5200U1 dim screen

Nov 6, 2020
I've got a toshiba 46L5200U1, with a very dim screen. Tested power supply board and all correct voltages. Tested led board, 100v on the test point and 23v on the led test points, all of them. Are all the strips bad, or is the led controller bad? Thanks for any help you can give.

BEAUFORD_SAVAGE

Respectable
Sep 6, 2020
It's very age dependent, it may have old CCFL backlighting, which does dim with time, otherwise it's probably the LED driver circuit. Either is fixable. But if you can't do it, replace it.
Too much $$$ You could donate it to a techie who can do the job.
(I get more laptops than I can use, so i fix and sell them.)

Nov 6, 2020
It's very age dependent, it may have old CCFL backlighting, which does dim with time, otherwise it's probably the LED driver circuit. Either is fixable. But if you can't do it, replace it.
Too much $$$ You could donate it to a techie who can do the job.
(I get more laptops than I can use, so i fix and sell them.)
I was concerned with the voltage I'm seeing on the test points on the LED controller. From the vids I've watched, it seemed if the test point was at 23 volts and the rest were at 9 to 10volts then that particular string of LEDs were bad. All of the strings are at 23volts. Makes me question whether all four strings are bad, or the controller. Controller is $50 and 4 new strings of LEDs are $160. It was a free TV.

BEAUFORD_SAVAGE

Respectable
Sep 6, 2020
I was concerned with the voltage I'm seeing on the test points on the LED controller. From the vids I've watched, it seemed if the test point was at 23 volts and the rest were at 9 to 10volts then that particular string of LEDs were bad. All of the strings are at 23volts. Makes me question whether all four strings are bad, or the controller. Controller is $50 and 4 new strings of LEDs are $160. It was a free TV.
I didn't realize this was a TV (My fault) . Most of those have all the LED's in series, and if 1 dies, they all go black.
So I seriously doubt it's more than 1 LED, but you usually have to buy them a strip at a time. EBay is a good source for that. But if you do it, you better have the hands of a surgeon, and make VERY sure every thing is not only put together in the exact same way, (there are a lot of thin flat panels, that have to face the proper direction, reflectors, diffusors, etc. Actually, you need to buy all strips, it sounds like 4 in your case, or the lighting will be uneven. Newer LED's put out more light, so 1 led goes bad, and you need all the strips.
I have done this a few times. Is the Pic dim or barely there at all?

Nov 6, 2020
I didn't realize this was a TV (My fault) . Most of those have all the LED's in series, and if 1 dies, they all go black.
So I seriously doubt it's more than 1 LED, but you usually have to buy them a strip at a time. EBay is a good source for that. But if you do it, you better have the hands of a surgeon, and make VERY sure every thing is not only put together in the exact same way, (there are a lot of thin flat panels, that have to face the proper direction, reflectors, diffusors, etc. Actually, you need to buy all strips, it sounds like 4 in your case, or the lighting will be uneven. Newer LED's put out more light, so 1 led goes bad, and you need all the strips.
I have done this a few times. Is the Pic dim or barely there at all?
Dim