Toshiba A300 Satellite laptop not powering up - cold dead

SteveNax

Commendable
Sep 12, 2016
Hello

I have a similar issue like Pepi93, the laptop has no signs of life, no LEDs no nothing, either combination with battery or without.

it is from a neighbour who said the laptop was shutting down then it wouldn't turn on anymore.

The suspect is the motherboard, I have disconnected RAM and the Fan as well, when trying to turn on there is no sign of any kind, no LED lights blink or come on, the Ethernet leds are also cold.

I have tested most of the other power areas and the motherboard is getting 19 volts into the DC in pins on the motherboard, either if the battery is present or not, the actual voltage of DC input is 19.47V.

I have by pure guessing figured out that the 2 long pins are the main battery minus and plus, I have not touched the shorter ones as I can't find the pinout information anywhere, I can't find it even inside the service manual http://www.manualslib.com/manual/435886/Toshiba-Satellite-A300.html

- The fuses seem to be okay, as well as the nearby components, however I have no idea how to properly test any of the chips on there.

- The power coming off the motherboard's battery pins (long) is 0.53 volts when DC input, during the evening as I disconnected and reconnected DC input to test other cases, that voltage dropped to 0.40V - I will try again this morning to see if it changed.

The onboard BIOS battery is at 2.94V

The battery it self cannot be tested since it enabled protetction, that's what other people tell me that's why the voltage is only like 0.4 on the 200mV scale. Battery is PA3534U-1BRS

My main question is if this can be repaired by a proper repairman for cheap, like some component that can be replaced like a capacitor or something? I won't be doing that I have no such soldering equipment or experience.

The other thing is I'm willing to do some more testing if anyone's experienced enough to guide, however I'd like to go slower since I'm not that good with having the 19V in and doing measurements but I've done quite some DIY work in the past so I'm up for the challenge, I'm mostly at PCs, i don't know anything about laptops, but I already learned something by just opening up this one.

EDIT: Some images of the mobo here: http://imgur.com/a/LeHH8

Solution
ı hac-ve the same problem.When I try to turn on my toshiba satellite S-70 shuts down in a few seconds but when ı press the FN key continuously eveything is fine
While it's good that you did a bunch of testing on the laptop, you are working on a 7 year old laptop, that fully working is worth maybe $100-120.

Did you try a new power supply? Past that, I'd just take out the parts from the thing to sell, or sell the system as is for parts.

If your neighbor needs the system working because of files or some program on there they will have a hard time replacing, motherboards are about $60 from ebay for that laptop, and you may be able to find one for sale on craigslist or ebay. Or just remove the drive and get the files directly from it.

biancaba

Commendable
Nov 29, 2016
ı hac-ve the same problem.When I try to turn on my toshiba satellite S-70 shuts down in a few seconds but when ı press the FN key continuously eveything is fine

Solution