toshiba c55 will not start; power button blinks

Smokey Bear

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013
Power adapter connected, light on indicating laptop is getting power. When I puch the power o button, it begins blinking, but nothing happens. Will not turn on.

Solution
Try removing the battery, leave the power cord in, and then see if it will turn on. If it does, then your cord may need replacing. I say that because if a cord is not allowing enough power to get through so that it can both charge the battery and run the laptop, then it may well not even turn on when the battery is in. However it will when the battery is removed. I would also tend to charge only when turned off for the same reason, lack of needed power.

If this doesn't effect it, then you may need a new battery.
Try removing the battery, leave the power cord in, and then see if it will turn on. If it does, then your cord may need replacing. I say that because if a cord is not allowing enough power to get through so that it can both charge the battery and run the laptop, then it may well not even turn on when the battery is in. However it will when the battery is removed. I would also tend to charge only when turned off for the same reason, lack of needed power.

If this doesn't effect it, then you may need a new battery.

Solution

Smokey Bear

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013

Smokey Bear

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013
Thanks, but "been there--done that." Tried both a new battery and a different power cord from another (working) Toshiba. Google search of the problem "suggests" that I am not alone with this issue, and no one has found a ready solution, including Toshiba (which offers to "diagnose" the problem for about $100 if you'll just send them your laptop. An estimate of the cost of repair will then be provided. My solution was to buy a Dell and pledge to never buy another Toshiba. Thanks, though, for sending your suggestion.

Smokey Bear

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013
Did not try a power button replace -- not logical that would be the problem since the last time I shut it off I did it with a "soft' shut down, not the button, and it worked before that. Googling the problem indicated that no one apparently has a solution. (Mine was to go buy a Dell)

Alas there are a lot of variables in such problems. I disagree with the tech (or so called tech) they had you speak with from the manufacturer. There is always a solution, even if that solution is to completely replace the device. :)

Sadly most people who are touted as 'tech support' when you call places, really aren't. I actually have worked at many businesses that would hire people with no experience what so ever, give them a minimal amount of training (at best) and then put them to work. This is why most try to walk you through a standard route/list of general questions, rather than hearing what you are saying and have already tried. It isn't until you get to the 2nd or 3rd level of techs that you actually get someone who knows what they are doing.