Toshiba C55Dt B5153 won't power up

PKelley16

Commendable
Nov 5, 2016
Hello, My Toshiba laptop is only 6 months old and has been running like a dream! Last week the DVD drive just stopped recognizing discs so I did the Google search and found the posts with directions on how to fix the issue. After trying two of the three posted fixes on one thread I attempted the third fix that took me to the RegEdit and to the DVD driver and deleted the Upper and Lower filters as instructed and suddenly a blue screen and when it restarted or should have restarted, nothing but a black screen and the 'power' LED is the only sign of life. I tried the battery hard reset and nothing changed. I used the power cable from one of my others Toshibas and nothing. Please help if you can. Thank you in advance!

WyomingKnott

Distinguished
I strongly recommend that you take it in to a shop before any more damage is done. I would recover the data, do a factory reset or clean install, and re-install software. Playing with registry fixes without a deeper understanding of the registry than I have can be a recipe for disaster.

In the future: Get an external drive, do whole-system backups before fiddling with the registry and on a regular basis. If you hose the machine, you can always restore the last backup after recovering any new / changed user files.

Edit: On second thought, this sounds like a physical issue. Did any of the previous posted fixes involve opening the machine? Really, take it to a shop.

PKelley16

Commendable
Nov 5, 2016

Hi WyomingKnott and Thank You for your reply. The machine has never been opened except for the battery removal hard reset fix which didn't work. This may be a Windows 10 error as well as I have been having issues with updates which I believe is what happened to the DVD drive to begin with?

WyomingKnott

Distinguished
If all you get when you turn on the computer is a black screen, it sounds as if you are not booting as far as the BIOS. If you can't even get to BIOS, then it's not a Windows problem, or not only a Windows problem. If it's a hardware problem with a notebook, I personally would go to a shop. I only fiddle with my tower machine.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Laptop Tech Support 0
Adele K Laptop Tech Support 1
CookieSecretz Laptop Tech Support 1
M Laptop Tech Support 1
Yishai Laptop Tech Support 0
T Laptop Tech Support 2
M Laptop Tech Support 5
junior31210 Laptop Tech Support 1
S Laptop Tech Support 2
ramseylacey24 Laptop Tech Support 1
Neon The (Anthro) Umbreon Laptop Tech Support 3