Toshiba display dead, bought new one, and new inverter; still nothing

David Kvaternik

Estimable
Nov 4, 2014
Hi there.
My laptop's display got a crack overnight, through no rough treatment or accident. Display still worked for a month. Then one morning, no image on the display.
I bought a new display on ebay (exactly the same model).
Carefully reconnected, still nothing. Did some research, bought a new inverter. Just installed it; still.. you guessed, nothing. Not even image without backlight, or corrupt image; virtually no image at all. External monitor still works fine. Device manager doesn't even detect integrated display.
What am I to do?
Laptop is Toshiba Satellite A500 13F (PSAM3E)
Thank you so much for your help! ;)

Solution

That depends on the problem. The video cable cares electricity and data. If an electrical path no longer has continuity, or a particular data stream cannot be carried, then there will be absolutely no video feed. Typically abnormal displays come from a shoddy connection, but a bad cable usually yields no picture. Bad pixels are purely screen specific problems, and backlight failures are failures all on their own most of the time.

Your...

Warukyure

Estimable
The display connector from the screen to the MoBo might be dead. Don't think you can replace those since soldered onto board. Unless you want to get a wireless keyboard/mouse and hook it into a TV to macguyver an HTPC, might be time for a new one.

David Kvaternik

Estimable
Nov 4, 2014

You are most probably right, there are little other options besides flat display cable. Only small potential inconsistency with this theory: how can a cable stop working completely? Shouldn't at least picture be severely deformed first. As it is not one pixel displayed, no backlight, nothing.

You are sure flat cable is welded onto MoBo (display adapter)? Well, i have nothing to loose, a will tear it to pieces and we shall see.

Warukyure

Estimable
No i meant the connector. Its a usually a beige (sometimes black) thing thats soldered onto the motherboard that you run the screen cable into it. If your device manager can't even detect any integrated display when its plugged in then its probably that connector.

That depends on the problem. The video cable cares electricity and data. If an electrical path no longer has continuity, or a particular data stream cannot be carried, then there will be absolutely no video feed. Typically abnormal displays come from a shoddy connection, but a bad cable usually yields no picture. Bad pixels are purely screen specific problems, and backlight failures are failures all on their own most of the time.

Your last resort would be to replace the data cable and keep your fingers crossed, maybe throw some salt over your shoulder and say 10 hail Marys.

Solution