Toshiba L50-C upgrade screen from HD to FHD

dimitripkdd

Prominent
Jun 13, 2017
Hi everyone,
The panel in my Toshiba L50-C is Innolux N156BGE-E42C1, HD screen. I would like to upgrade to a FHD IPS screen. I did a search on google, it seems like the eDP cable is the key point. I opened it and see the cable inside is "BLQ EDP HD cable", "DD0BLQLC010". I am wondering if this cable is able to fit a FHD panel??
Thanks so much.

Solution

It is my understanding that panels are interchangeable as long as the number of pins is a match. Embedded Display Port Lanes are roughly comparable to USB generations - data transfer will follow the slowest configuration. Going from TN to IPS doesn't concern eDP lanes. Going from 2K to 4K does.

If you install a 1-lane panel in a 2-lane system, the graphics output...

Hello, Dimitri:

You could try various web sites that sell replacement panels, e.g. laptopscreens.com:
http://www.laptopscreen.com/English/model/Toshiba/SATELLITE%20L50-C%20SERIES/

You need to dig out the full name and possibly also the model number. From your info it seems that HD and FHD panels are interchangeable (same number of pins) so for $50+ you could end up with a nice IPS panel. But I don't have all the details about your Toshiba.

You could also try eBay - that's where I bought an IPS panel for my Lenovo Y50.

Best of luck,
GreyCatz.

dimitripkdd

Prominent
Jun 13, 2017
Hi GreyCatz,
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I've asked some panel suppliers, and some IPS FHD panels can physically fit my Toshiba laptop. But they are not sure if the cable is compatible, even the same number of pins. The HD panel uses eDP 1 lane but the FHD panel uses 2 lanes. Not sure if the cable is compatible with both HD and FHD.

What is your cable on the Lenovo?

It is my understanding that panels are interchangeable as long as the number of pins is a match. Embedded Display Port Lanes are roughly comparable to USB generations - data transfer will follow the slowest configuration. Going from TN to IPS doesn't concern eDP lanes. Going from 2K to 4K does.

If you install a 1-lane panel in a 2-lane system, the graphics output will follow the 1-lane configuration, but you'll get the full visual properties of the panel, e.g. IPS.

Solution

dimitripkdd

Prominent
Jun 13, 2017

I called Toshiba, they cannot confirm if it can be upgraded or not.
:(
I am hoping if anyone who is using the same cable with a FHD panel can let me know it is workable....ha
I also compared some panels,
http://www.panelook.com/modelcompare.php?ids=24349,19049,19048
it looks like AUO's panel is using the same model of the signal interface.

dimitripkdd

Prominent
Jun 13, 2017
Some panel vendors replied me that the IPS FHD panels won't fit my cable, except one. So I bought the AUO B156HAN01.2.
Good news!!!!! Everything went well!!!!
So happy about the colour.