Question Toshiba L855D wifi mini card whitelist

stingray230sx

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2014
trying to bring a laptop into modern times.
recently upgraded router and then discovered my fleet of laptops was lacking in the wifi dept. router is ASUS RT-AX82U
managed to upgrade two Dells with modern ax1800 mini cards and 370mbps
my Panasonic toughbook with a intel5100 card gets 220mbps as is so good enough
the holdout was my Toshiba L855D, with it's Realtek 8188 the wireless only shows as hidden and no amount of web tricks would let it connect.
had a spare 1397 card and popped it in, this is the worse laptop to change a card in too, lol.
so the 1397 sees and connects to my network with no issues but is freakishly slow at 21 mbps, web searches indicate this is as good as the 1397 gets.
since I had no issues exchanging the 1397 for the Realtek I thought I could swap in the now not needed Intel Centrino advanced 6205.
this hit a roadblock, as the 6205 refuses to work. with the dreaded triangle exclamation mark status "DEVICE WILL NOT START".
tried updated driver but no joy.
I have to assume it's a whitelist issue, but cannot for the life of me find anything but listings for similar issues etc.
how would I find an approved mini card that will get me in that 200mpbs range at least?
thanks in advanced

stingray230sx

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2014
small update, it seems if it was a whitelist issue, the laptop would fail to boot.
so I guess the "WILL NOT START" msg on the device mgr properties page indicates a base incompatibility with the laptops chipsets.
still, searching for compatible but faster wlan mini cards has come up empty as far as recommendations.
oh well, its just a back up of a back up laptop, but I was hoping to upgrade it's WiFi speed a bit if possible.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
trying to bring a laptop into modern times.
recently upgraded router and then discovered my fleet of laptops was lacking in the wifi dept. router is ASUS RT-AX82U
managed to upgrade two Dells with modern ax1800 mini cards and 370mbps
my Panasonic toughbook with a intel5100 card gets 220mbps as is so good enough
the holdout was my Toshiba L855D, with it's Realtek 8188 the wireless only shows as hidden and no amount of web tricks would let it connect.
had a spare 1397 card and popped it in, this is the worse laptop to change a card in too, lol.
so the 1397 sees and connects to my network with no issues but is freakishly slow at 21 mbps, web searches indicate this is as good as the 1397 gets.
since I had no issues exchanging the 1397 for the Realtek I thought I could swap in the now not needed Intel Centrino advanced 6205.
this hit a roadblock, as the 6205 refuses to work. with the dreaded triangle exclamation mark status "DEVICE WILL NOT START".
tried updated driver but no joy.
I have to assume it's a whitelist issue, but cannot for the life of me find anything but listings for similar issues etc.
how would I find an approved mini card that will get me in that 200mpbs range at least?
thanks in advanced
This could also simply be a defective device (the 6205).