Toshiba Laptop A505-S6033 Overheating!

Kusakun

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
Hi guys. I need some help here. My Toshiba Satellite A505-S6033 -less than 2 year old- is constantly overheating. When you put the hand in the vents of the computer it feels HOT!. The computer, the battery and the charger seems to be hot

I dont know if its the battery or something else. The thing is that when i take the battery off it seems to be working just fine. Today i got the windows message "Warning: A problem with the cooling system has been detected Please turn off the computer immediately and return it for service" and then the computer shuts down automaticaly. The computer never been THAT hot so im worried.

Is there any known problem regarding of this? Because when i took the battery off the computer it was REALLY HOT. Is there any issue with the battery or any battery recall program? Im worried about my computer and i dont want my computer dies or something.

Please guys I appreciate your help.

Thanks a lot!

clarkjd

Distinguished
Laptops notoriously run hot, to the point of burning your lap(if you actually put it on your lap!). Unless the laptop starts to show behavior attributed to overheating, (screen freezing, slow response, burning smell, Warning messages) you should be okay. However, the warning message does indicate a problem with the cooling capabilities of the laptop. Send it back to Toshiba or take it to a repair facility.

Kusakun

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
Actually the computer suddendly shuts down when its extremely hot. Also have a problem to play video files since it makes frame droping -mkv videos or even mp4-

So the only way is taking the computer to a facility right?

Kusakun

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
Actually the computer suddendly shuts down when its extremely hot. Also have a problem to play video files since it makes frame droping -mkv videos or even mp4-

So the only way is taking the computer to a facility right?

Kusakun

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011

So the only way is taking the computer to a service facility right?

Techguy_64

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
Shutdowning is normal when a CPU or Video card overheats and is actually preventing the chip from damaging itself. (tempature threashold or limit that powers off laptop) So yes you need to get the dust clean out and I would recommend re-appling thermal paste to the CPU/Video card (use arctic silver 5). If you bought a Toshiba notebook out-of-the-box and was shutting down due to overheating; I've seen the problem was the sticker that goes around the video card (to cover the small capacitors) was actually partially on the heatsink contact area. I've also noticed Toshiba tends to put way too much thermal grease on their heatsinks as well. You want to have a nice thin even layer.

Kusakun

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
Last time i cleaned the vents was like 1 month ago and then today. The problem is when im playing video that makes dropping and not playing correctly, etc... Too bad! :pfff:

warz54

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
I had the same problem with my toshiba A505 i fixed it by removing the heatsink from the videocard and replacing the thermal compound and it has worked great sofar for the last month