Toshiba laptop keyboard not working at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

wammoman

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
on my toshiba laptop (satellite pro s300m-s2403), the keyboard does not work at all but the touchpad forks fine. A Microsoft Natural Keyboard plugs in USB and works, but I'd rather have the onboard keyboard most of the time. How to fix? Any driver fix needed? An uninstall----re-install? Or do I have a hardware problem? What can I do to diagnose the problem I have?

hytecgowthaman

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
if all keys not working Loose connection problem. reinsert keyboard connector to mobo can fix this. if some keys not working dust problem so clean keyboard.
if extra options not working means driver issue.

jbmccoy01

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
I've had a similar problem on my 2 year old laptop since the warranty ran out.
The keyboard randomly seems to change letters to shortcuts, and while I'm typing, several windows pop up.
If I hold down the CTRL button on the left, then press the CTRL button on the right, that seems to reset everything.
I also just bought a new one a few days ago and it's already had the same problem.
They're both Toshiba.
I'll never buy another Toshiba.

faithkrish

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014

Yes,,we have the same unit Toshiba satellite and the keyboard is not working at all. At first, it is the "s" key and later the nearer keys like A, W, D, Q, and when one of the technician open to check it,when I arrived home I "on" it but the keyboard is not working at all. May I know what's the problem? I'm worried if there's something wrong with the system....but the touch pod still works well. Th only problem is that I could not able to type. Just browsing and browsing only using the touch pod. Please let hear some of your concern about this. Thank you!

HGWN

Estimable
Apr 16, 2014
This is to all who own Toshiba Satellite laptops. I have model: L55-a and keyboard stopped working for no reason. I keep the computer in hybrinate mode I powered it on it loaded up fine but keyboard wouldn't work only the num lock button was illuminated and sometimes caps lock would light up after restarting it few times. I discovered that keyboard worked fine in BIOS so I knew it was system/windows problem, I took it apart and on mine there is removable CMOS battery I removed it also disconnecting main battery and pressed and held power button for about 30 seconds I also pressed reset button underneath few times. I returned both batteries and booted it which it takes you straight to BIOS to adjust time/date that's when I found out that keyboard worked there. After booting up keyboard still didn't work I restarted it again and again pressed a small reset button underneath the laptop the newer ones usually have a small pin size hole to get to it. After booting again it worked fine I restarted it couple more times and it still works. This was done on late model Toshiba 2013 model. Don't know, guess you can give it a shot.

tmfk

Estimable
Jun 19, 2014

If the keyboard does not work even before Windows boots up (can you access the UEFI or Bios?) I would guess it is the connector that connects the keyboard to the motherboard. There is a clip that holds the ribbon in place. There is a connector that is attached to the motherboard as well. The clip inserts into the connector but my experience with them indicates that they frequently break, even before anyone tries to open the laptop up. This happened an L55-A5226 that I sent under warranty to their repair facility for a faulty hard disk (IF YOU USE TOSHIBA HARD DRIVES - BACK UP YOUR DATA) and Toshiba, upon examining it, insisted it was "damage" and therefore not covered by warranty. They wanted $116 to fix it, though they were unable to put into words precisely what they would do to fix it. They sent pictures. The F6 key was also missing. It seems pretty obvious that if you can break the keyboard connector without removing the keyboard and not break the rest of the machine, that's a defect. The "damage" is a result of their defect. So the upshot is, it is an easy fix if you have the skill and patience to get under your keyboard. If not, take it to a local repair shop or call a repair guy because sending it to their warranty center will most likely just cost you $25 plus a lot more once they tell you that you damaged it. I will never buy a Toshiba after dealing with their "customer service" and "warranty" dept. They answered no questions either. Just said the same thing over and over and kept asking me to send them a credit card number so they could put $116 on my card. I asked them "How much to just replace the F6 key and not worry about the connector?"
I had already fixed it once using a matchbook cover to hold the ribbon in place. No response expect another plea for $116 two days later. Good Luck.

Update: Toshiba did not fix the problem under warranty and would not answer any questions related to the nature of the repair. The laptop was returned and they had not reattached the keyboard ribbon.

SOLUTION: I removed the keyboard and wedged the keyboard ribbon connector to the interface using a matchbook cover (index cards work as well - just cut to size). I used a piece of tape to limit movement of the ribbon once it was working. Using a retainer like an index card eliminates the dependency on the delicate "cups" that hold the plastic retainer clip in place. As such, this actually is a superior solution than replacing the broken connector, minimizing the possibility of a future problem due to the same type of break (if it broke once, it can break again). The keyboard now works perfectly, though I still have to find an F6 key to replace the missing one.

IF THE KEYBOARD WORKS BEFORE WINDOWS TAKES OVER, IT IS NOT A HARDWARE ISSUE. IF IT DOES NOT WORK WHILE BOOTING UP (IE F12 KEY DOES NOTHING - CAN NOT ACCESS UEFI) IT IS PROBABLY THE KEYBOARD CONNECTOR ON THIS MODEL.

maura lacey

Estimable
Jul 2, 2014
I am having trouble with my keys in that the curser will not move at all. Triedevery combination to unlock but nothing works. Like you I will never buy anything from toshiba again.

whatthadiddley

Estimable
Sep 23, 2014
Update human interface drivers. When windows updates on these laptops the computer is setup as a tablet. Update human interface drivers reset. Then guess what my keyboard works now. Give it a try.

tayhines

Estimable
Nov 18, 2014
i had the same problem with all the keys not working + the number lock light on but i finally figured it out. this worked for me: shut down the computer, unplug it, remove the battery (wait about 30 seconds), re-attach the battery, power it up + the keys should work fine.

Joe Kandan

Estimable
Nov 26, 2014
I guess this thread is old but for the benefit of others, I suggest you upgrade the BIOS version to latest. The updates are available on the Toshiba website. Make sure to select your location to download specifically. This is rather a risky operation but opted the Best one. Reinstallation of OS, keyboard replacement will not solve the problem. This is bad mobo design by Toshiba. Their patch is via the BIOS upgrade.

Hope this helps.

Jennifer McGary

Estimable
Jan 21, 2015

How do you fix it if its a driver issue?

Sephiroth50

Estimable
Feb 11, 2015
For anyone with this issue after weeks of trying to figure this out I finally ran across something. Hold down the right shift key for 10 seconds. That's it. You will hear a sound and it will work again!

01turtlesrule

Estimable
Mar 2, 2015

If you have windows 8 go to the right of the screen where the sidebar pops up, go to the search option and type "ease of access keyboard settings and turn off the "filter keys" button that should do the trick

jashua

Estimable
Mar 31, 2015
no solution to this i guess just bought mines and everything gone to hell with the keyboard best guest is a virus and its probably corrupted needed files also cant restore because i didn't create a r-point god dawn this software problem i hope maybe i should try factory reset don't see it though and not sure what it could do

p55w-b

Status
Not open for further replies.