Solved! Toshiba Laptop problems with Windows updater

T0mmyGunn1972

Commendable
Jan 17, 2017
Hi, I have a Toshiba Satellite C50-b which had an issue after a bios upgrade that Toshiba recommended. The machine would not pass the first splash screen. I finally sorted this after trawling the web by unplugging the wireless adaptor ribbon that connects to the motherboard. However before this was sorted the laptop was reset a number of times and most recovery and troubleshooting options were tried on start up. Since then the laptop works fine but I cant install any apps from the windows store and windows update just keeps searching for updates and has found none which seems odd. Also I cant upgrade to windows 10 it took forever and stalled on 99%. I have tried all network and windows update troubleshooting options and have reset the windows store cache using command prompt wsreset. So my question is will this situation improve if I restore from the recovery partition i.e. will windows completely be reinstalled and any corrupt or missing files be fixed or can I diagnose and repair the updater issue. The computer is running windows 8.1. The laptop does have internet access, email, web browser etc.

Solution
I've had the Windows 10 update get stuck at the last step a few times, had to start with a clean setup of Windows again.

You said the laptop was reset a number of times, but you did not actually do a clean Windows setup? What was reset then? A factory restore will wipe the system and set it up like it was new, so if you have not actually done a clean Windows setup, that would be a good thing to try.

T0mmyGunn1972

Commendable
Jan 17, 2017
Thanks hang-the-9, I have done a few system restores where I pressed f10, I believe, during boot up. This gave me the option to reset to either keep the files which you would use if you were keeping the laptop or set up as a new pc, which wiped everything off, files etc. However this didn't solve the problem. so is this a clean windows setup? I don't have the key to reinstall windows fresh so need to do everything from the recovery partition. there is an option, F12 I think which brings up the Bios menu from Toshiba, this gives the option to erase hdd but would this erase the recovery partition? I was a bit scared to do this. does a clean windows setup replace/reinstall windows fresh or does it just reset to defaults and clear the C drive of any files such as documents, photos and added software?

The windows store used to work before I had any of the problems which makes me think there is a corruption or some files missing in either the updater or windows store files.

The recovery partition won't be wiped, it's there to restore the main partition with the factory fresh image.

Solution