Toshiba Laptop problems with Windows updater

T0mmyGunn1972

Commendable
Jan 17, 2017
Hi, I have a Toshiba Satellite C50-b which had an issue after a bios upgrade that Toshiba recommended. The machine would not pass the first splash screen. I finally sorted this after trawling the web by unplugging the wireless adaptor ribbon that connects to the motherboard. However before this was sorted the laptop was reset a number of times and most recovery and troubleshooting options were tried on start up. Since then the laptop works fine but I cant install any apps from the windows store and windows update just keeps searching for updates and has found none which seems odd. Also I cant upgrade to windows 10 it took forever and stalled on 99%. I have tried all network and windows update troubleshooting options and have reset the windows store cache using command prompt wsreset. So my question is will this situation improve if I restore from the recovery partition i.e. will windows completely be reinstalled and any corrupt or missing files be fixed or can I diagnose and repair the updater issue. The computer is running windows 8.1. The laptop does have internet access, email, web browser etc.

hang-the-9

Titan
I've had the Windows 10 update get stuck at the last step a few times, had to start with a clean setup of Windows again.

You said the laptop was reset a number of times, but you did not actually do a clean Windows setup? What was reset then? A factory restore will wipe the system and set it up like it was new, so if you have not actually done a clean Windows setup, that would be a good thing to try.

T0mmyGunn1972

Commendable
Jan 17, 2017
Thanks hang-the-9, I have done a few system restores where I pressed f10, I believe, during boot up. This gave me the option to reset to either keep the files which you would use if you were keeping the laptop or set up as a new pc, which wiped everything off, files etc. However this didn't solve the problem. so is this a clean windows setup? I don't have the key to reinstall windows fresh so need to do everything from the recovery partition. there is an option, F12 I think which brings up the Bios menu from Toshiba, this gives the option to erase hdd but would this erase the recovery partition? I was a bit scared to do this. does a clean windows setup replace/reinstall windows fresh or does it just reset to defaults and clear the C drive of any files such as documents, photos and added software?

The windows store used to work before I had any of the problems which makes me think there is a corruption or some files missing in either the updater or windows store files.

hang-the-9

Titan

The recovery partition won't be wiped, it's there to restore the main partition with the factory fresh image.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Laptop Tech Support 1
G Laptop Tech Support 1
S Laptop Tech Support 0
G Laptop Tech Support 1
J Laptop Tech Support 1
L Laptop Tech Support 1
S Laptop Tech Support 1
J Laptop Tech Support 1
A Laptop Tech Support 1
B Laptop Tech Support 1
T Laptop Tech Support 3