Toshiba LCD Prototype Does Simultaneous 2D, 3D

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
In my opinion this is the future. People don't want to arrive home and have to put on googles or glasses to watch TV.. it's absurd, they'll get fed up. They want to go to the kitchen or bathroom, and have to take them off, put them back on, etc, etc.. and then you can't find where you last put them, and you don0t have enough for your friends.. it really doesn't work in real life.

That's why Toshiba is doing this, they already got the message. It's only a a matter of time until they get it right at the right price.

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
[citation][nom]dragunover[/nom]lol, way to read the article.[/citation]
Same to you, because simultaneous 2D and 3D display is EXACTLY what they were talking about, along with what would seem to be the resulting headache.

From the original quoted article:
It is possible to show 2D images and 3D images at the same time by partially turning on the second panel.

heffeque

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2002
CoderDunn and figgus haven't quite understood what 2D+3D is for. Basically you see it 2D when not using special glasses and 3D when you are. You don't see both 2D and 3D at the same time.

G

i am confused does this prototype use polarized glasses or no glasses at all? if glasses then can you see the 2D with the 3D on?

G

i can't tell from the article
does this use polarized glasses, shutter glasses or no glasses at all?

rollerdisco

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
OK, so i am new to the whole 3D thing, but why can the theater show a 3D movie without 150 dollar glasses, but we dont have 3D projectors yet? seems like it would be much cheaper, even if it required 2 projectors, and 15 dollar glasses.....(free if you keep them after the theater's showing.)

MxM

Distinguished
May 23, 2005
ANY 3D display can show 3D and 2D at the same time. If in 3D you show something that located exactly on the plane of the screen, then you have 2D image. You can remove glasses (or not) and see it.

What is cool about this display is that YOU DO NOT NEED GLASSES! and the particular way they are doing it. The title should have been about this, not the strange 2D/3D statement.

CoderDunn

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
[citation][nom]dragunover[/nom]lol, way to read the article.[/citation]
Actually, I did read the article, which was why I quoted it.

Maybe I don't fully understand how this works, but after watching some poorly tacked-on 3D movies, it seems like to me a mix of 2D and 3D would be disorienting.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]gemmakaru[/nom]Every game I have played in the last ten years has been 3d, I am sure they must mean stereoscopic.[/citation]

stereoscopic is now called "3d"

Status
Not open for further replies.