Solved! Toshiba M645-S4070 Backup Data and make it work again.

aleon1220

Commendable
Jan 27, 2020
Toshiba M645-S4070 Official Product page.

Story
2011=
I got the laptop as a gift from USA from my Mom R.I.P.
2012=I installed Vmware. The buttons on the image below stopped working
vLaeCJf.png

2013=i found a solution to the buttons issue by modifying the win7 registries
2014=Win7 started giving me an annoying issue with battery cannot hold more power. I bought a new battery.
2015=The battery issue began again. I realized it was a software bug.
2016=I decided to customize the laptop and i bought a SSD of 500GB + i removed the Bluray Disc player and instead i added a 1TB Hard Drive for Video and music storage + 8 GB total RAM
2017=I moved to NZ and the electrical outlet here is 250V. I only used an electrical plug adapter. The speakers were damaged and are not the same as before.
2018=The buttons of the image above stopped working. The battery notification was always showing up and sometimes i had to unplug and plug again.
2019=I tried removing the battery and just using electrical cord but the laptop would shutdown after the OS had started or just after couple of seconds when booting up.
2020=The Laptop would not hold any battery charge. I decided to open the tablet because i read i needed to replace the thermal paste or add a thermal pad in the processor.

Goal=To restore the Data from the Hard drives to a safer storage and to fix the laptop so i can install ubuntu on it.

So far...
I opened up the laptop but i dont know how to access the processor and change the thermal paste.

Any more ideas or instructions??
thank you

Solution
Thermal paste isn't going to fix it not holding a charge or not charging the battery. Either the battery is bad, the charger is going bad and won't charge it, the battery is not connecting well with the laptop and may need to be adjusted, the charging circuit is damage and needs replacing or possibly the motherboard will.

So, to get it running again, you really need to resolve that issue first. Will it charge when the thing is off, but not when on? Then it is the charger that needs replacing. Will it not charge at all? Then the battery, charging circuit or the motherboard are the problem. NOTE: I get you said you replaced the battery, but if it was an aftermarket battery instead of an OEM one, then well all bets are off. You should not...
Thermal paste isn't going to fix it not holding a charge or not charging the battery. Either the battery is bad, the charger is going bad and won't charge it, the battery is not connecting well with the laptop and may need to be adjusted, the charging circuit is damage and needs replacing or possibly the motherboard will.

So, to get it running again, you really need to resolve that issue first. Will it charge when the thing is off, but not when on? Then it is the charger that needs replacing. Will it not charge at all? Then the battery, charging circuit or the motherboard are the problem. NOTE: I get you said you replaced the battery, but if it was an aftermarket battery instead of an OEM one, then well all bets are off. You should not use aftermarket batteries. If that is the case, try getting an OEM one.

As to the other info, if you can get it running, then you can back up the data. If you can't get it running again then you can see about removing the drive and connect it to another computer (internally or externally) and copy the data. Here you can find a few ways to do so... https://www.howtogeek.com/182452/how-to-get-data-off-an-old-hard-drive-without-putting-it-in-a-pc/

Additionally, while you can get the data, even if the device won't run anymore, obviously you can't install any other OS, or anything else, unless it will run.

Reactions: aleon1220
Solution

aleon1220

Commendable
Jan 27, 2020

So, to get it running again, you really need to resolve that issue first. Will it charge when the thing is off, but not when on? Then it is the charger that needs replacing. Will it not charge at all? Then the battery, charging circuit or the motherboard are the problem. NOTE: I get you said you replaced the battery, but if it was an aftermarket battery instead of an OEM one, then well all bets are off. You should not use aftermarket batteries. If that is the case, try getting an OEM one.

As to the other info, if you can get it running, then you can back up the data. If you can't get it running again then you can see about removing the drive and connect it to another computer (internally or externally) and copy the data. Here you can find a few ways to do so... https://www.howtogeek.com/182452/how-to-get-data-off-an-old-hard-drive-without-putting-it-in-a-pc/

Additionally, while you can get the data, even if the device won't run anymore, obviously you can't install any other OS, or anything else, unless it will run.
thanks for the Answer.

aleon1220

Commendable
Jan 27, 2020
UPDATE 1:
i tried opening the laptop and found 2 stripped screws. I found a solution i will try later on the day. Possibly the elastic band or the epoxy.

1. To extract the Data i bought (as of feb 2020) WD 5TB hardDrive and Startech SATA IDE adapter
  2. I will remove the stripped screws to get to the main SSD. (i only store some apps and OS in there so i dont care much) Still i want to backup what is in there.
  3. Once i get the items in feb 27 if the Will of God. Then i will proceed and let you know.

Does anybody know if i can get a plastic case for the toshiba M645-S4070 because i broke some plastic parts.
thanks

aleon1220

Commendable
Jan 27, 2020
Update 3=

1-I got in touch with Toshiba NZ and unfortunately they dont sell parts for this laptop anymore. This is due to another issue in which a part of the plastic case broke :-(
2-I got my order from Amazon USA. I attach the pics. Tonight i will give it a go to extract the data from the hard drives first and have bakups.

LN1AO5O.png