Toshiba Officially Announces Glasses-free 3DTV

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
"Toshiba said that its "view point overlay technology" will allow viewers to move their heads whilst watching 3D content without compromising the 3D effect"
This is the best part :) Now I can watch 3d movies laying on my counch on my side and it actually works.

td854

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
I'm wondering if the mentioned resolution can be run in 2D with a PC connected to it. Also does this mean that it will be semi-future-proof? I'd think it could at least support Quad HD in 2D. If all this is true you can bet it's going to cost an arm and a leg.

cmartin011

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
I just want one not for the 3d but for the TVs high 4k2k resolution and the 120hz refresh rate though I dont think my PC supports (295gtx) it. how am I going to hook it up????

G

I would say the 4k is the best part. I do like how the 3d part is, but 2160p is something I would save up and buy. I have an old 1080i lcd hyundai 32in from 2005 so a 2160p tv that does 3d would be good. I am the type to only up grade if it's 4 or 8x better than what I got or it dies. I had a p4 intel from 04 to the end of 09 and got an i7. So I will likely not even buy a 1080p tv and just wait for something like this 2160p tv to be for sale.

elkein

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
[citation][nom]nobodyshearing[/nom]how does this 3d stuff work? everything you watch is 3d or does it need special content? can you switch the 3d off?[/citation]

The glasses shutter so each eye sees a different picture, 3d requires special content to get it correct (needs to be filmed with different cameras.) Yes 3d content can be flattened to 2d for a regular viewing experiencein the tv controls, it actually just displays the image for one eye in that mode, thus no glasses needed. The "view point overlay technology" relies on refraction on a per pixel basis at the screen(I guess.) The refraction method is likely to be much more expensive than using a faster display and processing to work with shutter glasses.

Cash091

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
The 4k2k rez is only so the tv can produce simultaneous 1080p images. You won't be seeing things displayed in that high of a rez... Not now anyways... Still pictures can get that high, I wonder what it would look like to display a 14mp picture in 4k2k rez?!! You might be able to hack a game to play that high... Personally I have never seen anything higher than 1080p, but imagine crysis in 2160?!?!

jrnyfan

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
3d doesn't work in movie theaters, why would it work at home? 99% of movies are up converted to 3d anyway, not filmed in 3d so it's not "true 3d" if that were the case anyway.

God willing this fad will die quickly...but sadly I don't think this will

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
I suspect that this technology is just like the "magic eye" posters that force you to "unfocus" at the picture so that it looks like 3D. I would be really worried about long term effects of doing this.

kencolestud69

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
I wonder if you had a 3D movie marathon night and drove home in the dark. Would your driving skills be affected. I can see it now... "You watch 3D t.v. Drive. You lose!" Alas-"You drink. Drive. You lose. I guess I will avoid the health and legal hazards by waiting for holographic projectors. Even though it may be a long time from now.

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Haha at godzealot!

Right now these glasses free TVs use a lenticular sheet. The problem is that that sheet is still in there even when you wanna watch 2D TV. Meaning your likely gonna get a blurry mess instead of a sharp 2k image.

techtre2003

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
The only glasses free tech at CES that was even worth looking at was on laptops. To get a clear 3D image on the Tvs, you had to stand in a certain spot and not move your head. Even when you did get a semi-clear image, the 3D effect was not impressive at all. However, the laptop I saw had a camera that tracked your eyes. Once it "locked on" to your eyes you could move your head around and keep a smooth 3D picture. It did have one funny glitch though, it wouldn't lock on to people who had beards for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.