Solved! Toshiba P750 vs. Lenovo Ideapad Y570 or others...

dirtyminded

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011
Hi, im buying a new laptop and i have both these in mind.

With warranty, coupons, % off etc.. They both work out to be roughly the same price.

The Toshiba comes with Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM, 6 GB of RAM (up to 8), and Nvidia Geforce (optimus) GT540M 1GB graphics card. but no Blu-ray player.

The Lenovo on the other hand has the same processor (Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM) 8 GB of RAM, Nvidia Geforce (optimus) GT555M graphics card, and blu-ray player.

Now, the specs on the Lenovo are slightly better, being the better graphics card (but how much better?) and the 2 GB more of Ram. With blu-ray player.

The problem i'm having is the looks of the Lenovo, the ugly lid, with the bright orange trim really turns me off of this computer, i love the specs, but cant stand the looks. Why are Lenovo's so ugly? they make excellent computers (from what i've heard), but their looks are rather tacky. And why the orange plastic trim on a mostly metallic looking computer? It's beyond me why the designer(s) thought that would be a good idea. I'm not the only one in this boat, as others are having the same dilemmas with Lenovo's looks. Dont get me wrong, the primary use for a computer is for functions, and looks secondary. But i have to stare at it for hours a day for a couple years.

Are there any laptops with full warranties for 3 or more years including accidental damage coverage, under $1,450 with the following specs:

15-16" screen
Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM processor
6 GB - 8GB or RAM
Nvidia GT555m or +
and Blu-ray

any thoughts or suggestions, or would the Toshiba P750 i mentioned above really be that much less in performance then the Lenovo? As the Toshiba's looks are quite slick.

Thanks.

Click the following link for a list of laptop graphics cards and game benchmarks. You can check off the graphic cards you are interested in, then click the "Restrict" button.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphic-Cards.13849.0.html

Note: For benchmark result to be totally valid the CPU's must be the same for all video cards. However, this cannot be done with laptops. The GT 540M may be paired with a Core i3 CPU. The GT 550M may be paired with a Core i7 CPU. The GT 555M may be paired with a Core i5 CPU. Don't forget to toss in AMD CPUs which are generally weaker than their Intel counterparts.

joannabenz

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2011
I have always loved Thinkpad laptops, primarily because of the great IBM keyboard. But I bought two of their machines in the past (high end laptops with really great specs), and they both turned out to be lemons!

Toshiba has a MUCH better reputation for not needing repairs, and yes, the new models are very slick and are simply a joy to use!

Getting a good warranty is more of a challenge. My solution was to purchase directly from toshibadirect.com. :sol:

I got a new, customizable Toshiba P750 with 15" screen, i7 processor, and a few upgrades. My total cost was almost $1400 -- including taxes and shipping from China (only three days!) -- AND three years of in-home warranty service. Accident insurance is slightly extra.

:love: ... So far, so good. Love the looks and the great audio!

My only complaint is that Toshiba no longer provides XP drivers on their website, so that one can easily downgrade the OS.

Joanna Benz

dirtyminded

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011

Thanks for the reply. I actually purchased the P750 from Toshiba directly, as you mentioned. I have the 3 years accidental coverage warranty etc. No complaints about the comp so far! I also went with Toshiba after hearing they have one of the lowest return/repair rates in the industry. Thanks.