Toshiba Reveals Word's First Glasses-free 3DTV

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Congratz to Toshiba for this.

This is the kind of thing that will mainstream 3D, and this has also pretty much doomed the current 3D crap. I expect the price will become more realistic a few years down the road, which is great because I am still on my 1st Plasma TV and have an upgrade path.

G

[citation][nom]noblerabbit[/nom]USB HDD VIDEO RECORDING FINALLY FOR EFF SAKES![/citation]

I'm pretty sure a certain organization that has a lot to do with copyrighted material, will lobby and bully this particular feature to be disabled in the States.

Take a typical Motorola built HD TV cable box for example: has usb, nic, and other connectors but all the solder joints are broken before it reaches the customer. hmmm...

Anyway, I'd never spend more than $900-$1000 for a television. It's just not that important to me.

ThisIsMe

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
[citation][nom]beardguy[/nom]Clippy, now even more badass in 3D![/citation]
hhmmm... Just thinking about how I feel about him looking like he's coming ut of the tv and sitting on the couch beside me. Maybe as long as they make sure it's not like in the movie The Ring it would be okay.

f4phantom2500

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
[citation][nom]cloakster[/nom]Cuz this is another 2 years away before it becomes affordable.[/citation]

true, maybe, but in the meantime i'm perfectly happy with my "regular" 2d hdtv and waiting for more robust amounts of 3d content to come out, and for the technology to fully mature.

f4phantom2500

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
[citation][nom]junixophobia[/nom]I am already buying the 60" Samsung LED 3DTV which happens to have a free 32" LEDTV, a Blueray player, a samsung galaxy wifi, a free Shrek 3D movie and free rental of Blueray movies(not really sure how many years...)When this toshiba becomes available in my country, I'll buy it also... nothing to do with thinking of fad or the thinking that 3dtv with glass will be obsolete. We adopters of early technology DONT GET OBSOLETE... we just buy the newer gadget and becomes very much in...[/citation]

oh, ye, mighty and pious early adopter, if only we shared your intrepid nature...along with your lackadaisical spending of money and/or deep pocket books. why don't you stop trying to impress people that otherwise wouldn't care about you and just be thankful for what you already have? at the very least, stop kidding yourself into believing that you're innately better than people who don't have the latest and greatest tech. it's almost as if you're saying "i always buy the latest and greatest, why don't you?....oh, what's that? you don't have thousands and thousands of dollars to throw at major electronics every single year (or several times a year)? hahaha, well you are CLEARLY my inferior! look at my tv!" you could do something useful with that money, like, i dunno, donate it to a worthy cause?

cohetedor

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
I was excited about the resolution bump until I realized it would be hdmi only. For those hoping to connect a computer to this for a monitor you should know hdmi 1.4 supports this resolution but at a max refresh rate of only 24hz so it really is for movies only.

f4phantom2500

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
[citation][nom]junixophobia[/nom]I am already buying the 60" Samsung LED 3DTV which happens to have a free 32" LEDTV, a Blueray player, a samsung galaxy wifi, a free Shrek 3D movie and free rental of Blueray movies(not really sure how many years...)When this toshiba becomes available in my country, I'll buy it also... nothing to do with thinking of fad or the thinking that 3dtv with glass will be obsolete. We adopters of early technology DONT GET OBSOLETE... we just buy the newer gadget and becomes very much in...[/citation]

also, it's blu-ray, not blueray. you'd think that after owning a blu-ray player for a good 5 years (presumably, since you're such an early adopter you've undoubtedly owned it since it's been out), you'd know how to spell it. but, what do i know? i'm only a normie.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]legacy7955[/nom]There was a similar story about this on Tom's a couple of months ago, I can almost promise you that the quality will not be very good at all. 3D is a marketing fad that will pass once again just like it has several times before. It's going to be decades (a century) more until there is a practical way to make this affordable and have an good 3D effect.[/citation]
When microwaves first came out they were an absolute fortune and within 10 years they could be bought with chump change.
This will be available within 5 years for less than $1000.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]When microwaves first came out they were an absolute fortune and within 10 years they could be bought with chump change.This will be available within 5 years for less than $1000.[/citation]

Yeah and the 3D pic quality will still be about as poor as this current model.

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
[citation][nom]jibbs[/nom]Forget 3D, what I wanna know is if I can hook my PC up to it and play games at 3840 x 2160[/citation]

Yaaaaaaaay!!!!!

[citation][nom]cohetedor[/nom]I was excited about the resolution bump until I realized it would be hdmi only. For those hoping to connect a computer to this for a monitor you should know hdmi 1.4 supports this resolution but at a max refresh rate of only 24hz so it really is for movies only.[/citation]

Awwwwwwwww!

gamebrigada

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
This isn't the first... I saw dozens from multiple companies at CES 2011.... They hurt your eyes twice as much as the glasses ones did. The only glasses 3DTV I saw at CES that didn't hurt my eyes was Samsung. LG had one of the best glasses-free 3DTV's. Samsung also had one but just seconds of standing in the "Sweet spot" watching ice age made my eyes bleed.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]roadrunner343[/nom]I agree Captain Charisma! I am still using my old Cyrix 133mhz desktop computer that I had about 12 years ago. I thought about updating when the pentium line came out, but I just knew there were going to be updates, so I saved my cash.Sure enough, there was a pentium! I wanted to wait until the second revision, but I decided best to hold off until the third. I heard rumors of the pentium 4 though, so I decided I would just hold out for that one. I knew I could make it just a bit longer. AMD came around with their 64 bit stuff, and I knew that was what I needed! But I didn't want to be an early adopter of the technology, so I figured I would just wait it out a bit longer. I caught wind of Intel's new Core line of processors and knew they would be way better, so that is what I would spend my cash on. I knew the core 2 wouldn't be far behind, so what would another 8 months hurt? I've already been waiting for 10 years to upgrade, I might as well just wait a bit longer.I was about to place my Core 2 processor purchase, when I heard of this amazing beast called the i7. That is why I would spend my cash on. I waited for the launch to see how things went, and to ensure all the bugs were worked out, and I was ready to order. But once again the rumor mill started turning. Something called sandy bridge. I knew my new PC had to be sandy bridge based, it just had to be!I went to piece the system together last night, and I decided I really should wait to see how Bulldozer turns out... not like another few months of waiting would hurt...[/citation]

to be fair, a tv is something you can hand around with for 10 years on current modles and with crts, my old 27 inch was about 20 years give or take a year.

junixophobia

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
Everybody with character knows owning anything big and expensive does not makes you better, but whining definitely makes you a bitter and a big loser hahaha

Returning to topic, hopefully this LEDTV is way less in electricity than its plasma counterpart. hopeful with the computation it would have an ROI of 4 years in electricity savings compared...

junixophobia

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
@alidan, my wife actually would not let go of that CRT TV that she had until I showed her some ROI computation about electricity compared to LEDTV.
If you really want that CRT TV, stick with it coz you are happy with it. But if you think you are saving money, unless electricity is every cheap in your place, try buying LED TV at lease

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS