Toshiba Reveals Write-Once SD Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
I really like this idea actually, I was sceptical when I first read the title but I think it could be useful. If I remember correctly a while back I had a zip drive and using a small little switch on the side it would allow you to switch the drive for normal to read-only. Only downside is of course, making sure you use all of the space possible on the drive.

G

@11796pcs

look carefully.... all memory cards have that switch too including SD ( hint it's that little slide thing on the left)

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Don't SD cards already have a tab on the left side that locks the card into read-only mode like those on floppy discs?

megajynx

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Could do wonders for an OS install, esp. if it its cheaper than traditional SD cards without compromising throughput performance.

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]pjmelect[/nom]How would it being a write once media in anyway stop malware from spreading?[/citation]
If it doesn't get on the drive when it's inserted into the system then it won't spread.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
Ummmm... what?
dumb...
SD Cards have a lock that keep it from being written to if that's what you want.
It's a little switch. All of them have it. This product is pointless.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
To everyone who poo poos on this idea you forget that not everyone knows about this tiny switch. Nor will they conciously check to make sure the switch is set correctly.

Marthian

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]Ummmm... what?dumb...SD Cards have a lock that keep it from being written to if that's what you want.It's a little switch. All of them have it. This product is pointless.[/citation]
Its actually not as pointless as you think. Like they said, it could be used to transport very confidential files or the like without any outside forces wrecking mayhem on the card.
Those switches, I don't really even get the point of them though. Its so easy to switch it from read only to write access and then well so much for confidentiality.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]BulkZerker[/nom]To everyone who poo poos on this idea you forget that not everyone knows about this tiny switch. Nor will they conciously check to make sure the switch is set correctly.[/citation]
than those people are dumb and deserve to be exploited.
if i can get 4tb of space for little over 100$ though, i may stock up on these (thats the cost of buying 500 dvds)

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]than those people are dumb and deserve to be exploited. if i can get 4tb of space for little over 100$ though, i may stock up on these (thats the cost of buying 500 dvds)[/citation]
i mean 2tbish
and better than a hdd because if 1 goes, everything doesnt follow.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]Ummmm... what?dumb...SD Cards have a lock that keep it from being written to if that's what you want.It's a little switch. All of them have it. This product is pointless.[/citation]

That switch is just a piece of plastic, just like it was on casettes and floppies. It's up to the device to observe the no-writing nature. Besides, this technology could extend to microSD cards where there is no such tab.

This new product is actually incapable of being written-to more than once, like a CD.

JackFrost860

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
I think that Japanese companies should concentrate on how not to pump millions of tons of radioactive water into the Pacific Ocean.

Status
Not open for further replies.