toshiba s855d-s5256 slowly frying - anything I can do?

Alek Step

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
The normal temperature for this cpu according to reviewers is around 35. I'm wpiking to 88C without running games, 60-65 when just browsing in eco mode (edit: forgot to mention - had the laptop for about 6-8 months and the problem started getting progressively worse maybe 2 or 3 or so ago; can't even play borderlands without cooking an egg anymore).

Most games run for a while before the computer just shuts off and it seems to be getting worse.

Could it be bad drivers - reason I ask is once every 2 days or so I get a blue screen the cause of which is something to do with ATI. I got the latest drivers, no mods or anything - I do haven HDMI monitor plugged in but nothing changes when I unplug it.

It's still under warranty - but I am in Mexico and the shipping cost back/forth is 100-300 bucks without factoring in things like custom tax and the chance of it getting "lost." Any advice at all? I'm relying on this thing for my work and I'm royally screwed if it burns out on me.

I have it sitting on a pretty expensive cooling pad (fans of which broke unfortunately) and tried opening up to put some arctic 5 or whatever it's called on the cpu but when I take the bottom cover off - I can ony reach the hard drive and the memory.

Here is the memory dump after the blue screen if this helps at all:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 116
BCP1: FFFFFA800B4434E0
BCP2: FFFFF88006C07ADC
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: 000000000000000D
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\030313-35225-01.dmp
C:\Users\as\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-95004-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

update: Well, after typing this, I decided to do a windows update, and even in eco mode that sent the temps flying high and the pc suddenly shut down - it's never done this before unless I'm gaming. I said screw it let me try to open it up, and I did - there was some blockage on the vent, I cleared it up and right now - after booting up, with the cover still off, sitting on top of the cooler - I'm still running at 52C (spiking to 62 at now as I am rerunning the update). I guess I got a dud for a computer (first time in past 6 lap tops I buy something besides an Asus.. sigh). I cannot find my arctic silver, I guess I lost it along my travels. So I'm really hoping someone has some more suggestions - I read online about removing battery, which I've done, keeping the cover off, etc. Could updating bios help, or maybe a full reformat? (I have win7 ultimate on a cd rom that I'm tempted to upgrade it to - currently using win7 home 64 bit). Any tips at all would be just.. just great =/

Can't take it to a repair guy here w/o being overcharged, can't ship it to the states, so it's a self-fix or new pc before this one burns out completely.

Minor update: Was scared to update bios because there's always some danger in that but I did it anyway.. updated ati to latest beta drivers (it recommends updating your bios to take full advantage).. no difference. still running that windows update but I highly doubt that will do anything. I read somewhere that this quad processors has a funky mode where it constantly overclocks/underclocks as needed (basically a turbo mode without the turbo tool - HW report confirmed this - Max non-turbo ratio 11.50x
Max turbo ratio 16.00x) and was hoping maybe there is a tool out there to just keep it at one speed - but have never been able to find it on google. Everyone just raves about how great this laptop is =/ I'm spiking from 45 to 69c in CPUID during my update in eco mode - this just doesn't make sense to me.

Alek Step

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
Hmm.. so I wouldn't call this "resolved" but it's ok for now. I basically went into advanced power settings and in the section where labeled process power management, I put it to 75% min/max (used to be at 100% min/max); now it's no longer jumping and is staying steady 50-53 C during a game and 40-45 when just browsing. Not happy I have to use 3/4 of my power but happy that at least something can be done. Just posting this here for those who may experience similar issues.
Going to toy around with seeing if maybe it's a bug due to 100% and see if putting it up to 80 or 90 changes things since I pretty much this laptop to budget game (i.e. I'm fine with medium settings and mostly only do rpgs/strategy). Borderlands runs great though so I"m a happy camper.

edit: no one seems to care about this topic so this will be my last update but with the new BIOS there is also a feature called Toshiba Power Saving Setting V8.9.22.64 and underneath it it says "cooling method" and it says if you put it on battery optimized vs. performance it will slow your cpu down when the temp rises - I don't think this relates to the above because like I said my temp is no longer going from 45 to 69 or anything crazy like that.

Alek Step

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013

Hmm, this does not explain the jumping from 45 to 68 when just idling or browsing and by jumping I do not mean once in a while, I mean nonstop. It also doesn't explain why the above fix worked. (btw I've already done what you've said as explained in my post).
Thanks for the tip though.

Also, I probably should have done this before but the internal temperature & motherboard is always below 50, usually in the low 40s and my laptop sits under an a/c that's always on (racking up my electric bill before I move to my new apartment cause my landlord sucks).

p.s. <3 for porsche, can't wait to own one.. still fail terribly at stabilizing it in shift 2 though but man when you get it right, it's a beautiful car man, damn.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
It maybe that the thermal paste is going bad. Either RMA it to have the thermal paste replaced, or you can do it yourself with a higher quality aftermarket one.

Alek Step

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013

Thanks, that's a definite possibility... This is also the first out of.. oh god I don't know.. 15-30 laptops/desktops I've bought/built where I didn't immediately replace the paste. Doubt I can find arctic 5 silver where I live, or anything really, but I will look. And as mentioned, can't RMA =/ I'd have to send it to my mom's first, then she can but then she'd have to send it back. The shipping to and from US will be equal or more the price of the laptop :( (assuming it doesn't get "lost" when it goes through customs as 25% of packages do). I just got something today I had shipped in November :p