Toshiba Satellite keeps turning off

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeroe

Estimable
Jul 8, 2014

Actually, try taking out the battery, then unplug the computer's power supply for about a minute, put the battery back in, plug in the power and try it again (you may have to let windows do its scan disk or repair thing after that). It worked for me. Getting the wireless working again was a hassle but if your keyboard works fn+f8 should work otherwise you have to look for Toshiba flash cards. Do this if you are sure your ventilation/overheating problem is corrected.

mrrogers385

Estimable
Oct 9, 2014

I have the same exact model, same problem.

Funutation

Estimable
Oct 23, 2014
OK, I've been noticing this similar thread all over the internet and it seems that the issue is the "power board".

Basically the on/off switch starts to wear.

So I went to a place to have them replace it, but they didn't want to deal with a laptop so what I ended up doing
what seemed to help was to split the back part of the laptop.

OK, that means nothing, and I'm having a hard time putting this into words. Maybe I'll do a video shoot & post
to youtube later, but you know how you normally want to take the cover off of a laptop to access the motherboard?
There's a phase where they say use a guitar pick to take the cover off.

Well, I just did that near the top of the laptop (closest to the power switch), and it's opened like 1/16" of an inch
(1 or 2 mm) and leave it that way. No screws. No taking apart entire laptop. Literally takes 10-15 seconds

what I think this does is keeps the power switch lifted high enough to not touch the contact that causes the
system to shut down.

Your mileage may vary! :)

Funutation

CSGraves

Estimable
Nov 12, 2014

CSGraves

Estimable
Nov 12, 2014
Purchased my Satellite P755-S5380 in July 2012 and it has begun to shut off with no notice and re-starts with difficulty. I purchased a new battery & that does not help. Very frustrated with this. Paid almost $700 for this.

Davidsonaphan

Estimable
Nov 15, 2014
my mother in-law gave my son her old laptop which sounds to have the same problem you described and when in safe mode it seems to stay on with out turning off and restarting - I am not that computer illiterate I was wondering if you can give me a dumbed down version of what you did to fix this issue if possible - my email is Lady_vickers@hotmail.com - Thank you in advance :)

scotto1682

Estimable
Dec 1, 2014
i'm not posting a solution. seems to be a major issue from what i'm reading.. just acquired a toshiba satellite C55-A from my mother in law, she hardly used it. from what i can tell this things only about a year and a half old, not even a spec of dust in the heatsink, started noticing random shut downs about 2 days ago, thought nothing of it. tonight it just crashed 2 times in a row. this thing is pretty much equivalent to a paper weight to me now since i don't like using laptops with random shut down issues. doesn't seem like toshiba is wiling to help many of you, and i'm pretty sure i'm SOL since it was a gift. too bad. really was liking this thing. going to continue to use it i guess for just basic web browsing since i don't trust it for any major work. writing this reply to show that there's a lot of us with these garbage laptops. :no:

Xippacheyne

Estimable
Feb 28, 2015

I you have the guts open your Toshiba and put thermal paste on the CPU. It should work.

Louie_P

Estimable
Mar 30, 2015
Same thing happening to my Laptop. Piece of rubbish. Going into the bin. Nothing but trouble from day 1. Will never buy a Toshiba again!!!!

wonderbgr

Estimable
Apr 5, 2015

First boot in safe mode (press shift and restart for win 8) and
Goto Device Manager and disable both cpu cores. work with my toshiba a300
is a problem related with nec tokin capacitor under cpu in mobo, i hope that you quick fix the problem.

Thomas Smith 420

Estimable
Apr 17, 2015
Start control panel system and security power options pick a plan or create your own now click on change plan settings, find change advanced power settings, scroll down sleep and find hibernate after select number of minutes or 000 it out for never this solved my problem with it just randomly shutting off everyday this was very frustrating to say the least. Ive also put new thermal paste on my CPU and GPU.

imseeker

Estimable
May 20, 2015
mighty santa has it correct.

it is the power switch.

his video is also fairly nice in showing how to "fix it" for free vs. getting another power switch for - indeed $50.

Yes, you have to take the darn thing apart, and his video has the computer already apart, but there are quite a few videos showing teardowns.

I have 12 of these P755 computers, and two have now failed - both because of the power switch issue with random shutdowns (and software corruption on one of them because of that.)

Victoria Amator

Estimable
Jul 13, 2015

Victoria Amator

Estimable
Jul 13, 2015
My Toshiba laptop had same problem. Tech kept it for 2 weeks and problem came back. The tech said it was the Mother Board and wanted $300 for a new Mother Board. I paid him $100 and he never fixed the problem because it came back. The laptop keeps turning itself on and off. I wonder if I am being wammed by satellite or hacked by a bunch of haters.

Bradley Hannan

Estimable
Jul 22, 2015
I had same problem with my Toshiba satellite laptop what I did was remove the battery when plugged in because the battery over heats when fully charged and still plugged in and so far had no more problems and still works fine when I install battery back in when I go out

fule123

Estimable
Jul 24, 2015
This is not a solution but I have same problem with my Toshiba Satellite L755. I hope we find a solution to this or Toshiba offers some help. Very frustrating!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS