Toshiba Satellite keeps turning off

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluetoothless

Estimable
Aug 15, 2015
I have an A665-5184x that was having same issue with random shutdowns. If computer stays on long enough perform the following :
Go into power settings and click on "choose what pushing power button does..."
Set every selection to "do nothing"
Save changes....

Hanson_1

Estimable
Sep 25, 2015

Am having the same isue now... cant listen to my spotify even due to this

3boyz3madison

Estimable
Nov 13, 2015

I don't have a solution, the SAME thing keeps happening to me. I've had it in for repair. It worked for a week or so, now we are back to randomly turning off. The battery is NOT overheating. Taking battery out doesn't help. I'm at a loss.

roto1985

Estimable
Nov 13, 2015
I have the same issue. The Satellite laptop switches off randomly. However, I noticed the issue occurs only after playing a sound e.g. running You Tube or listening to music. If only documents are open, the issue does not come at all. Also, it slightly glitches before it suddenly turns off.
To me it seems power issue with the speakers which is shorting off the 19 VDC of internal voltage and hence causing immediate trip.

Norfleet1

Estimable
Dec 3, 2015
This is not an answer but most assuredly the same thing is happening with my Toshiba Satellite. I purchased a new battery but that didn't help. And yes the laptop is running hot. Unfortunately, I am not as comfortable as some if you with taking apart the laptop and clearing fans nor would I know what a "strip for heating" is...idk. Seems like an inexpensive option is out there but without some of your skill set. I maybe forced to buy a new laptop but does this mean not to purchase another Toshiba?

NOT_PROVIDED_321

Estimable
Dec 6, 2015

Norfleet1

Estimable
Dec 3, 2015
JLovely56, Do you have the laptop on a flat surface? I replaced the battery in my laptop and then placed the laptop atop an unused baking grid. It looks like a wire basket. But the laptop has not been overheating and is not shutting off...for now. I will look into a few of the suggestions for cleaning the vents that were mention in the posts but I believe I have extended the life of the laptop for a while longer.

Dec 11, 2015
Mine did the same thing, I took the battery out and ran it just plugged in. It has not shut off yet and it has been 4 hours now. I am going to order a new battery on Ebay for $34.

Dale_2

Estimable
Dec 12, 2015
I had the same problem and after trying many things with no success I uninstalled the Toshiba eco-utility (found by going to Control Panel and clicking the Programs and Features). I did not have the problem until I installed Windows 10.
Thus far all in now fine.

Domenick_1

Estimable
Dec 25, 2015
I know that most of these post are old but I would like to post my solution. I have determined one of the problems are when you have the wall adapter plugs into the laptop that's one of the batteries charged I would take out the battery and the computer with still turn off. Thus making sure that its new thermal paste I found out that the wall adapter itself was giving out too much power. When the battery is back in the unit fully charged the unit does not turn off until the battery is dead but if I do plug in the wall adapter it can be from 20 minutes up to an hour and 15 minutes the computer will shut off with the battery inside. So I will suggest to most people that have a Toshiba before you do anything extenuating try to go get the universal adapter because the one that comes with the unit might be defective.

Leo_7_

Estimable
Jan 4, 2016
The same happens to me to. Laptop will stay on for 20-30 minutes and then turn off randomly. It is not overheated nor anything else. It just clicks (sound) and goes off. I need help.

Segismundo1950

Estimable
Jan 7, 2016

What are the Touch Media Keys? Thanks

NLO_jock

Commendable
Feb 10, 2016

NLO_jock

Commendable
Feb 10, 2016
Many thanks to Funutation [23Oct2014] for describing the probably cause of a Toshiba laptop powering-off problem & suggesting an easy fix.

Following Funutation's suggestion but with a slightly modified procedure, I was able to get my Toshiba Satellite P755 running again in almost no time. Here are the details on what I did, which took <1 minute to complete.

1) Power off laptop & unplug power cord.
2) Turn laptop upside down with battery facing towards you.
3) Locate nylon washer (I used one with a thickness of ~1.6mm & diameter of ~10mm).
4) Cut nylon washer in half.
5) Leaving the battery in place, use flathead screwdriver to wedge between laptop case & battery.
6) Insert the 2 halves of the nylon washer into the wedged opening between the laptop case & battery (near the left side of the battery & about 30-35mm apart).
7) Removing the flathead screwdriver will cause the laptop case & battery press to against the 2 nylon washer halves & provide a suitable gap to keep the power switch from shorting out.
8) Plug in & power Toshiba laptop back on.

This particular fix has been successfully working flawlessly for >3 months on my Toshiba Satellite P755.

NLO_jock

lilcletus

Commendable
Apr 1, 2016

This was a huge help thank you. However I wasn't able to power on my computer once I disconnected the power button. So I had no choice but to power it on then disconnect the button really quick.

Once disconnected I had no further issues (thanks again it stays on!) but this meant I had to do this same intrusive routine every time I need to power on...

BUT!!! I found an option in control panel / power that you can disable the malfunctioning power button.. I'm running windows7, fyi.. once I did that and reconnected the power button to the system board my issue is fixed. The only thing is now I can't power down via the power button (who the heck cares anyway)...

Good luck!

Westernmoon

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016

Hmmm... I bought my laptop one year ago & cannot return it as I bought it from Dick Smith in Australia who are now in receivership.... It does sound like poor design.
It is NOT overheating - I have my laptop on a cake rack specifically to prevent this happening, and I can't imagine how it could be dust given that it is closed when I am not using it, and I have only had it one year.
I have reset absolutely everything I can find and it still keeps shutting down quite randomly if I haven't used the mouse/keyboard for as little as a couple of minutes - very annoying while trying to study.
I will try some of these solutions because clearly I'm not going to be covered by warranty and equally clearly will not be buying Toshiba again (a bit like iphones really... never again). Thanks everyone for your help.

Gamma-it

Commendable
May 27, 2016
Well, the clicking sound , when it turns off randomly, sounds similar to the clicking sound that happens when you hold the power button for a long time to shut it down forcefully. Hence, the power button is the one to blame here. There are a lot videos on how to fix the power button.

Status
Not open for further replies.